What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Just the chain tension adjuster, nothing to do with the chain break- the threaded screw you can see on the side plate (is what I bent) with the pin which fits into the bar.

Send me an address and i will see what i have

I am beginning to get mildly excited about topping 400,000 views on this thread since Sept 2011 - been a little successful hasn't it:lol:

Not surprised Spud, you've been very helpful to me and I've mended and rebuilt dozens of saws now! Ported one or two as well!

You will need to remove the tank/back handle from the saw, once out the cover needs to be removed from the r/h side of the back handle, and the trigger roll pin drifted out, to remove the fuel tank you will also need to remove the carb and all the pipes etc, if you are not too sure how to do this I would suggest the local dealer, getting the carb back on correctly is a bit fiddly.

You have to laugh at some of the sales on ebay, just had an "066" in from a guy who had purchased it off ebay, it had seized (or looked like it) and a local dealer had stripped it, recommended many hundred's of pounds of spares including top end and crank and then asked £90 to reassemble it.

The clutch and flywheel had been removed for some reason - really not sure why on a machine exhibiting seizure - possibly to check the feeling of the bearings but who knows.

I have cleaned up the bore but noticed a chip out of the top edge of the exhaust port - I had thought it was someone using something jammed in it to lock the piston but when I took a look at the piston, I noticed it had been put on back to front. The ring would have expanded in to the port and eventually the inevitable happened, it snagged, chipped the port, damaged the piston and I never found the ring end but it isn't in the engine!

The crank bearings were smooth and the rod didn't kick the pot over when I span the engine with the cylinder loose so am happy it will be OK. The saw was in fact an early 064 so a big bill wont work well.

The spur sprocket was worn as a worn out thing so have a Hyway drum and rim on its way, new clutch springs will be fitted, the carb has been stripped and cleaned and just waiting for the parts to finish.

The air filter was also missing - reckon it never had one from when my customer purchased it!

A possible machine write off has come down to a sub £200 repair bill and a machine that will make its owner some money back - ebay saws can be a big gamble!

Oh - the saw passed pressure and vac tests and the carb was set correctly so the damage would have been down to the chipped port and the damaged ring.