what would the equivalent of super string theory be for forestry?

jimmylad

Hello all.

Now forgive me if I don't describe or word this in a way that makes 100% sense.

What I'm after is your opinion(s) of what the most important research area of forestry would be and what area the next or more prominent discovery will come from, i.e. if super string theory could have the potential to change the physics world if proved, then what would be the area of research for forestry that has the potential to change views and conceptions.

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section but being not sure I thought best to just pop it in the general section.

Any views would be gratefully welcomed.

Regards

J

Thank you Hamadryad. That's the direction/type of subject matter that I'm after. I do appreciate its a very open ended question as such I put forward.

As I'm about to start yet another lot education, four years this time (climbing isn't for me), its the science of forestry that interests me more than anything. I do have a rather sad passion for fungi and indeed a discovery of a microbe that could ward of or kill phytophora would indeed be a ground braking and significant finding, however my next question to that would be how and why did phytophora evolve? (sorry I am full of questions).

Thanks again.

J

I think what you're after is a revelatory theory that actually changes the way we think. An easier example from physics might be E=MC2. Newtons theories actually changed the way people thought. Or Galileo suggesting that the Earth circled the Sun.

An equivalent in forestry might be that trees do actually speak. CODIT is about the only one I can bring to mind at this time of day and without a great deal of either caffiene or alcohol induced thought.

Any new discovery will be based on a lucky find or plodding research.

If the analogy to proving superstring theory is pursued as a model that harmonises physical laws into one application - explaining the findings of all particle physics within the same set of rules - then applying that to forestry means finding a model that explains any form of tree growth and interaction of tree and forest to surroundings.

That epiphany is nearly on us..when folk finally realise you can't look at trees without considering the whole biosphere. But equally (as was commented on in another thread) conservation and management can be as much a halt to evolution as a benefit to retaining current biodiversity. The buzz-word in the arts has been 'organic'. Here you have the perfect organic - which will out-evolve the fragility of man's meddling.

(heck that sounded too smug to me too)

Got to add this: If you're the alone in the woods will anyone else hear the sound of one-man logging :-)

Edited by pgkevet