New Head teacher

White Noise

On reflection my statement was a bit strong, i would never condone violence against any authority, but things like this really get my back up.

Same here was being to flippant with my comments, but you where for punching i was only for slapping lol.....still don't agree with the crazy rule but anyway.:thumbup1:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My issue was with your whole "teachers deserve more respect than everyone else" (how it came across) statement. They don't. Violence as a way of expressing opinion is like raising your voice, you've already lost the arguement when you think about it.

You misunderstood me in that case. I did say that I think many teachers are a pretty poor lot at the moment and it is my opinion that the vast majority have basically never left school and have merely developed a bit of power (which they often abuse ) over the `other children` (my sister and also my partner are both teachers :biggrin:) My point was simply do note condone or use violence against them..... Oh and that should have been current partner, must keep them on their toes eh :biggrin:

So should the teachers wear uniform too??

IMO yes. To lead by example. Recently my local radio this was discussed. Pupils are expected to wear uniform as representatives of their school, to look clean & tidy and smart. Teachers tend to be dressed casually, and a few that I can think of can only be described as scruffy. What would be wrong with them wearing a blazer/jacket with the school badge on the front pocket, (during school hours) PE staff always swanning about in tracksuits should have the school name on them.

Back on topic, I admire the lad for his principles, I think on this occasion the head is wrong. As Grumpydave said, it is a subtle symbol, nothing more, and is hardly on the same level as ornamental jewellery.

As for advocating punching anyone, teachers policemen or anyone else, please keep your thoughts to yourselves, not really necessary on this forum, or relevant in this particular discussion.

Edited by Andy Collins

I'm with the teachers on this one, though I appreciate your young man's expression of loyalty as well as your loyalty to your son, you lead by example.

As far as rules go, they just need to be obeyed. All the people that are crying out saying "it's not fair, stomp the teachers, they're all useless" and other such sentiments need to remember what they said only a few weeks ago when the schoolgoing youths of England decided they were under no-ones authority. Back up your teachers, even if you do not agree with them on the rule, if the rule is there, it is there to be obeyed. The support of the parents is the only thing that gives teachers the autorithy that so many young people fail to recognise. If there is a rule that says no jewelery, then it's quite simply described by the word "NO jewelery".

I appreciate the lad does not wear it to adorn himself to be prettier for the girls but IMO that's entirely irrelevant. If some other kid wears a silver ring that has "nazi's are naughty" engraved in it, should that be allowed? After all it would not be jewellery but the making of a statement?

I haven't read all comments on hear but my thoughts are

come on lads- support the teachers- they have a hell of a job with kids these days

The banning of charity bands has an obvious reason- one rule across the board- if they were allowed, whats to stop the girls buying jewellery with charity messages on it- save the whale/ stop bullying etc. Then because you'd let charity bands in school you couldn't stop this.

Having said that I would have liked to see a bit of common sense all round. Maybe better if the head had explained this reason to the lad. He wouldn't bear a grudge now and feel you are against the school.

Handle this carefully now mate. Just explain the reason and he will probably understand.

IMO yes. To lead by example. Recently my local radio this was discussed. Pupils are expected to wear uniform as representatives of their school, to look clean & tidy and smart. Teachers tend to be dressed casually, and a few that I can think of can only be described as scruffy. What would be wrong with them wearing a blazer/jacket with the school badge on the front pocket, (during school hours) PE staff always swanning about in tracksuits should have the school name on them.

I disagree.

There should , IMO, be a clear divide between the teachers and the pupils, I'm not a fan of these pally, down with the kids type teachers.

Those in authority should be identifiable as different than those over whom they hold that authority, often its those in charge that wear the uniform and others are not permitted to wear it. With schools its the other way round you know who's in charge because they are not in uniform.

Of cause the teachers should be smartly dresses and a simple dress cord for staff could easily sort that.

But teachers being lumped together with the kids in uniform puts out the wrong message, IMV.

As a teacher i find it almost unbelivable to conceive that a large percentage of the population think that our jobs are easy? After all do you lay awake every night thinking how you can produce a better session or reflect on every occurance during the day just to comply with the next round of legislative jargon??we are told to teach with emotional intelligence and empathy...I belive every learner is an indivdual with individual needs...i dont want sympathy for my career choice, after all i chose to help others learn their skills, but please dont tar all teachers with the same brush; its the same in all professions, some individuals are just bad apples?

As a teacher i find it almost unbelivable to conceive that a large percentage of the population think that our jobs are easy? After all do you lay awake every night thinking how you can produce a better session or reflect on every occurance during the day just to comply with the next round of legislative jargon??

Have you ever done anything else?

As a teacher i find it almost unbelivable to conceive that a large percentage of the population think that our jobs are easy? After all do you lay awake every night thinking how you can produce a better session or reflect on every occurance during the day just to comply with the next round of legislative jargon??we are told to teach with emotional intelligence and empathy...I belive every learner is an indivdual with individual needs...i dont want sympathy for my career choice, after all i chose to help others learn their skills, but please dont tar all teachers with the same brush; its the same in all professions, some individuals are just bad apples?

do you lay awake at night wondering where your next bit of money is going to come from??????

i think not!!!!!:sneaky2:

do you lay awake at night wondering where your next bit of money is going to come from??????

i think not!!!!!:sneaky2:

Quit whining!!!:thumbdown:

If you think being a teacher is so easy and so well paid get off your backside and train to be one, then you too can have an easy life with loads of money!!:001_rolleyes: