To fracture prune, or................

David Humphries

could it be an idea to ring the bark say a foot below the fractures to increase the ecological niche habitat? and to give a stag headed look?

QUOTE]

I've tried this this year and just revisited the site last week.

I tried both ring barking stems and ring barking 3/4 of the stem to see if there was a difference in how much the stems shot out. I always wandered if this could be a tool in phases retrenchment of old trees

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do do some of the "old" Shigo stuff n'all, honest :sneaky2:

But that does not belong in this thread, so here's another Fp we carried out recently.

Turkey Oak, significantly compromissed by a host of Fomes fomentarius.

Reduced the canopy to help mitigate against the sail isolation above the neighbouring canopies.

Hideous, I hear you cry !!!

DSC09837.JPG.33b1c1d4f88e70e7506cad23fb761e26.JPG

DSC09832.JPG.b838e0932eb8c9cfdddc6cc3ccbdbc2d.JPG

DSC09608.JPG.97268d41005483db1977ab01051f87e8.JPG

DSC09843.JPG.da97a4d9574cfabc97d3fbf45135b45a.JPG

597654e9d3e6d_Horseshoe.jpg.75d051616671b6ddb71a288d557479a2.jpg

P2240002.JPG.0a3f0c400acda5ab11cbfcff533075ce.JPG

P2240001.JPG.33a608ee9f99b33b064b20d614ddc1cd.JPG

ive read thro this thread...

could anyone advise me on a good place to read about this method online?

heard about it but, this is the first time ive seen pics and dont know anything about it.

Did you read the pdf on post 6 Jonathan?

If not, then here it is again.

http://www.arborecology.co.uk/resources/coronetcuts_naturalfracture.PDF

Not a lot of info out there in cyber world, not that I've found anyway.

But I keep on looking :001_smile:

In the meantime, I'm having an intriuging time observing natures own fractures, and our own crude replicas.

i missed that pdf, ta.

dont suppose you took any footage of actualy doing the tears?

in your pics youve done the whole crown, is it ok just to do part of the crown?

i know of a likely candidate on an estate. a large tree was removed and left the candidate behind with a very unbalaced crown behind, and the tree doesnt have the cover it needs due to losing its cover and is now getting pumelled by the the coastal winds (tree on fife penincular). its a sycamore and there isnt any great way of reducing it and the tree is out of view from the paying public!

good candidate or not?

Sounds like a potential.

Haven't personally tried on Sycamore, so no experience.

No footage of doing the tears, but to be honest, a variety of directions & lengths is what we try to achieve.

small diagonal incision with silky, then "tear" away.

Sometimes use throwline to get higher purchase.

Interpreting what you do to the client, is very important.

Lovely work monkeyd!. I'll be interested to see how the tree responds to this prune after a seasons growth. Have you though about thinning out crowns like this using NFP to reduce sail whilst reducing the number of cuts (which will result in a flush of growth from the pruning cuts?).

The attached articles are intended to put this in a little more context....

From my point of view this is a technique that was primarily developed as a means of camouflaging pruning cuts in natural setting such as nature reserves or areas of outstanding natural beauty.

However, the techniques that are now known as natural fracture pruning have increased both in diversity of application and use. With more practitioners has come more variation on the theme so a new area of pruning is progressively developing.

I originally used a term of ‘verteranisation’ in an article produced for essentialARB back in 2002, but in a more recent publication produced by the Arboricultural Association I also described such practices as destructive pruning techniques. However, they are the closest we can get to ‘natural’ pruning from a tree perspective.

PruningDestructiveNatural.pdf

PruningContext.pdf