To fracture prune, or................

David Humphries

Personally I also think there is nothing at all natural looking about that tree now.

If it couldnt have been left the way it was due to safety reasons then I think it would have been better to fell and replant. Big trees die and need to be replaced and in a large area like that it could have then been allowed to grow naturally without any pruning for a very very long time.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are the targets that would "require" that "trimming" be done?

Look at the picture again Butch.

Bottom right corner.

This particular area is well used by dog walkers all year round.

The entire site has upward of 7 million visits per year.

Thats a lot of Target.

Members should be aware that my site is primarily an Open Space, we are not talking Street or Garden Trees here.

Why didn't I fell?

Why didn't I enclose?

My remit is to safely manage my existing Tree stock.

That sometimes means fell, but quite often means reduce to aid stabilization and prolong a Trees Life.

People gotta make a living, but from many many postings on this and other sites, far too many trees are being removed in the name of "Safety and Light"

There is quite often an alternative.

This is my opinion, and Modus operandi.

We do use dead hedging to exclude people from Tree management sites, but this does have arson, and access issues, so I try to limit their usage.

P9180019.jpg.f17b8701417a472baed49b07da502ba2.jpg

Personally I also think there is nothing at all natural looking about that tree now.

I garantee you that this tree will look "natural" this time next year.

All be it like a mini me.

Keep watching this thread, as I intend to keep it updated just like..........

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=957

Then again it might give up the ghost and go cold on me, guess I'll look dumb then :blushing:

personally I would have (although Ive not seen the site personally so can only make assumptions) have given more thought to balancing the lower portion of the tree, a fractured crown lift if you will. This would have given a far more natural result whilst still letting you do some fracturing.

I have no problem with fracturing per se. It does however begin to seem that youve taken hold of a technique and are now very much intent on using it at every available opportunity whether appropriate or not. IMO from what I can see this was very much a 'not' occasion

Seriously Dave, i am really interested in practices like this.

Out of interest, what is the feedback you get from this type of work, ie does anyone ever pass comment or ask why you are doing it?

Also, do you get any types of grants, perhaps from other departments within the LA, or any nature groups?

We get great feedback from the general public.

"Looks really natural, I thought there must have been a storm, never really like the look of man made cuts etc............"

More importantly, I get very positive comments from Ecologists.

This is what really encourages me.

I have on occasion left information signs out, with web info addresses and my contact number on.

This certainly helps get over what we are attempting and opens up dialogue with our stakeholders.

The next step will be to test the water with a piece in the local rag.

This may attract critisism from the Layman who only knows conventional Arb practices, but we will see.

Afraid I'm not the right person to ask regarding grants as we carry out this type of work on Salary.

:ciao:

It does however begin to seem that youve taken hold of a technique and are now very much intent on using it at every available opportunity whether appropriate or not. IMO from what I can see this was very much a 'not' occasion

Jim, since being introduced to this technique/philosophy over Six years ago, I have carried out Three (all of which have been posted) total crown reductions using fracturing.

Personaly, I don't see how this would give you the idea that I'm using it at every available opportunity.

Horses for Courses, different tools for different jobs.

Ok, my bread and butter isn't Crown lift,clean, & thin.

But I use my knowledge of Shigo, Kenyan, Mattheck and Green, where and when I see fit.

Dave, I am for fracture pruning in the correct location. I appreciate the fact you are trying to manage your tree stock, but as someone stated earlier fracture pruning encourages regrowth. You also stated that you are trying to reduce the wind sail effect.

So how does this procedure differ from the argument that topping Mrs Jones tree will only provide more regrowth in the future with unstable unions etc. etc.?

Mrs Jones will only have a smaller tree for the time being and the regrowth will be horrendous. Are you not doing exactly the same thing?

Your tree will have the same or slightly reduced wind sail effect I would have thought you'd be in the same boat in a few years time... just my thoughts but would be interested in your opinion?

rich.

So how does this procedure differ from the argument that topping Mrs Jones tree will only provide more regrowth in the future with unstable unions etc. etc.?

Mrs Jones will only have a smaller tree for the time being and the regrowth will be horrendous. Are you not doing exactly the same thing?

Your tree will have the same or slightly reduced wind sail effect I would have thought you'd be in the same boat in a few years time... just my thoughts but would be interested in your opinion?

rich.

I think the concept of potential return management, is not being considered here.

Guess I should keep stating this fact, and stop presuming members already know my site and my management.

This tree may put on excessive regrowth, alternatively it may just develope an internal lower crown,

with stag heads developing where the fractures are.

Micro decay (at fracture point) can be "managed"

where as large target wounds are what they are.

I'm not a clairvoyant, so I'll have to wait and see.

Guess thats the point. I can wait and see, and reschedule or just monitor.

For "most" Arborists, It is a given that a Tree job is a one off one time visit, am I wrong?