Enjoying your job

Scottie

If this has been done before I do apologise in advance. But I got thinking today while I was working, but most folk on here can give a big list of things that they don't like about the job, however today I enjoyed my job.

We were dropping a 250 year old oak today and I got to realise that I really enjoyed this part of the job. The whole preperation of the job, reducing the back weight, getting the pulling rope set up, getting the gob in and finally pulling it over with the tractor.

You get thinking more about compression and tension of the wood and how the tree is going to move when it is on the ground. The satisfaction when everything is logged up and it is safe. Also knowing you can get some of the wood for firewood. I was like a kid in a sweet shop.

So is there any part of the job that you enjoy?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not killing 250 year old trees!!! Nothing like a big fell but my conscious is almost clear if they are dead plus the impact and adrenaline is better as it's all far more unpredictable !

that pretty much sums it up for me too.

love the adrenaline rush, just to think people pay big money to go to a theme park and get some of the rushes we get, and we get paid for it....:thumbup:

and just being outside is great, we all moan its to hot, its to cold, but we would not have it any other way...:biggrin:

I do like the sound of a big tree hitting the deck. I enjoy hearing the little birds tweeting away. I do not like the site of a million slightly agitated wasps on an embankment when we've just run a digger over the nest :willy: Mind you one was friendly enough to come and gently alight on my wrist, then he shared his displeasure in the only way he knows best. Oh... I really love being at one with nature I really do :001_rolleyes:

For me it used to be the big rush i got from bigwood, and mmm taking a chance, i know but i was young! and very brave!

now, for me the buzz is in seeing unusual body languages, perfect examples of cerain scenarios and the associated life of trees, bats, fungi, when i see a great warrior a veteran of great character and as chatty as trees come i am in heaven, in my element.

nature moves me

So is there any part of the job that you enjoy?

I enjoy most of it, big trees, small trees, felling, pruning, the satisfaction of doing a good job and having everything all cleared up ready to go home then looking up at the tree one more time, then noticing a peg you forgot to take off DOH!!! haha

Most of all i like being outside and doing something i love, that most office workers only dream about, people with no guts for heights or physical ability to do a hard days graft treat you with a jealous respect and say things like "i wish i had a job like yours" or "wow i couldnt do that". I enjoy being in different places each day, no 2 trees are the same so its always different and always interesting.

Ummm yea i love it:thumbup: