storm of 1987

David Riding

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was half watching a programme on britains worse weather last night. Was goin on about bad storm when thousands and thousands of trees went down in 1987, I was only 8 half remember it! Did any of you older contractors clean up in more ways than one. (thought it was 86, cheers skyhuck)

I was working in and around the DORKING,GUILDFORD,LEATHERHEAD ares...been working away from home after just getting married.couldt get out of wear we were staying for over a week...aB&B in the middle of some woods...thing what sticks in my mind was hundreds and hundreds of dead pheasants that were lying on the ground everywhere.

Went back for a visit a few years later and the trees were still being cleared and cut....still mite be doing it now for all I know.

Hi

The monday after the storm was my first day at SANDT (School of applied non destructive testing) part of the welding institute at Abingdon. Its set in rather nice grounds with an avenue of trees many of which had been taken down by the storm.

'I can see you are not paying attention' - said the instructor, half way through the afternoon instruction most of which was familiar.

'No', was my repliy, 'I'd rather be outside with my saw, they're having far too much fun clearing up'

Diddnt go down too well but I passed the course with a decent mark, nice place & accomodation was rather good, probably all changed now.

N

I was working in and around the DORKING,GUILDFORD,LEATHERHEAD ares...been working away from home after just getting married.couldt get out of wear we were staying for over a week...aB&B in the middle of some woods...thing what sticks in my mind was hundreds and hundreds of dead pheasants that were lying on the ground everywhere.

Went back for a visit a few years later and the trees were still being cleared and cut....still mite be doing it now for all I know.

I was at a small prep school at Ewhurst at the time.

i was 4 when this struck and still have images of trees laying all over the place in my head.

even as a child i must have been a heavy sleeper as i slept right through it.

Oh er, you lot here make me feel nearly as old as Stubby!

N

I was 9 I would have slept right through living in coastguard house on the cliffs at fairlight but parents woke me up :( didn't get much sleep after that ! Remember next morning being able to lean into the wind and not fall over and the carnage our log stack was huge we had two large yews two huge beech and various others just for starters I was clearing up storm timber from a couple of places when I started out doing logs and such nearly 20 years ago and I still have the little Echo that dad started out with :).

Vary scary but an eye opener !

I was 9 at the time and living in Gloucester, don't recall much damage there, remember it on the news. I now live above Caernarfon on top of a mountain and have expericenced several powerful storms, Christmas 97, Christmas 2010, May 2012, Novemeber 2012, and Valentines day last year. 118mph winds worst storm I have experienced, sat with the wife and kids waithing for the roof to blow off, and last weekend. Rainfall last weekend was immense but Novemeber 2012 was something else, mountain roads like rivers, trees going over.

May 2012 I was called in to work and was in the forestry above Plas Tan y Bwlch in the Vale of FFestiniog when trees just started falling down, must have been 50 in five minutes, something like a 1000 in the whole day. What sticks in my mind were people out walking dogs, who stopped let a tree come down and climbed over it and kept going, like this was normal.

The weather is becoming more extreme, high winds are becoming more regular. We don't have hurricanes here, our sea tempreatures are to low, but we do have tornadoes.

Infact we have gusting winds 60+mph here tonight with driving rain, and more forecast...

We still clear sites on occasions that were flattened in these storms, back then I was with AJ who had a Bray loading shovel and timber beak. The Mog , Bray and trailer were running 24/7 just dozing trees off the carriageways ( not much cutting went on :) ). As soon as it came back into the yard there were police waiting there to take it off to another .

Bob