Cord supplies.

Alycidon

There have been several threads recently requesting a supply of cord. Are you all planning to process it and sell it this winter?, I assume thats what you have in mind but hardwood simply wont be dry enough for optimum results.

I have been processing stuff over the last few months that has been felled for between one and three years, the soft will be ok but the hard wont. I tested some Silver Birch, end grain of logs about 6%, in the center once cut and split was nearer 40%.

A

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been several threads recently requesting a supply of cord. Are you all planning to process it and sell it this winter?, I assume thats what you have in mind but hardwood simply wont be dry enough for optimum results.

I have been processing stuff over the last few months that has been felled for between one and three years, the soft will be ok but the hard wont. I tested some Silver Birch, end grain of logs about 6%, in the center once cut and split was nearer 40%.

A

The same thought crossed my mind! (unless its going to be Kiln dried)

I have taken ash and sycamore out of my own forest in the past 2 months and it wont be going anywhere this winter.

Your test also confirms that timber will not dry until it is cut and split.

The same thought crossed my mind! (unless its going to be Kiln dried)

I have taken ash and sycamore out of my own forest in the past 2 months and it wont be going anywhere this winter.

Your test also confirms that timber will not dry until it is cut and split.

I agree totally with that. I just do not understand the people who process straight into their trucks as seasoned just because it has been felled for a year or so :confused1:

I agree totally with that. I just do not understand the people who process straight into their trucks as seasoned just because it has been felled for a year or so :confused1:

Because it makes the job a lot easier. There is a guy not far me buys in a lot of spruce, stacks it (in a way that allows air go through it) in his yard and covers it with plastic sheeting. Its left for at least a year, and he processes it on delivery day. He claims its dry, but its hard to believe a 3m 14" log will be dry in the middle.

Still though, at least he is trying. Others do the same with an uncovered stack that was delivered to their yard a month earlier!

my request for silver birch cord is for a big alcove in a pub. All logs for winter 2011/2012 was split Nov 2010 March 2011, some of the stuff i am processing now will be sold March 2012 if dry enough. I keep logs in potato crates where the wind really does get through them and some logs will be below 25% moisture within 6 months, i always leave oak for at least 18 mnths, but i have to say that there is no definite time scale regarding how long you should season logs. I kept some oak logs in a barn for 2 years and they went mouldy (not enough air around them). I burn my own logs and when a sample reads <25% i burn them myself and if happy sell them. I found that my best wood last year was eucalyptus which i had in potato crates for 18 months. I now leave a foot between each stack of crates and take the sheets off the tops on really hot days, this really does help season the logs.

iv got some 18mth old s/w 3m lenths in the yard & it is bone dry ,& is now in the pile split :biggrin:

I bet that when you cut and split it the moisture content on the freshly split face will be 25% - 30%. If it was cut a split earlier in the summer it should be OK.

Invest in a moisture meter, £36 inc VAT and tax deductible to boot, you then know exactly where you are.

A