i think i've upset my local stihl dealer

DN22 Gardening

I see Steve what your saying but when I see my local dealer with flash cars and personal plates on them out side his show room I begin to wonder.. When I can barely pay my own bills that there is money to be made and I really don't feel sorry for them if I save £50 getting it some where else as I know he won't honour any warrantee with out a near out war any way .

Judging whether your supplier deserves a nice car is a bit strange. You never know how hard people work or where they get their profit from. I drive a clean d4 discovery commercial on some sites I would look low rent if i drove a 6 year old transit on others it looks a bit footballer.

I have been running my generator business 21 years and often work 6 days a week 14 hrs a day the other end of the country. Vans are tax efficient and improve your daily enviroment.

Dont worry what other people are earning look at the service they give you in this case he sounds like a pita anyway so go elsewhere for service and price.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for you on this Genset Steve, but it really is not worth you doing it at that margin.

Your standard of service simply cannot be compared to an internet price. You have to charge extra for your expertise, travel etc, but once this is given it can not be taken back, so if the customer decides to buy on line having taken your advice, you will not be paid for your time.

Only if you can make your package unique (so that the product and expertise is inseparable) will you be able to make reasonable margin.

For machines il buy local yes there more expensive but they are there when I need them be it at 7 in the morning or 6 at night so I think it's worth it as your not just buying a machine your buying a service. Just my thoughts and I'm sure il be wrong in some peoples eyes

I feel for you on this Genset Steve, but it really is not worth you doing it at that margin.

Your standard of service simply cannot be compared to an internet price. You have to charge extra for your expertise, travel etc, but once this is given it can not be taken back, so if the customer decides to buy on line having taken your advice, you will not be paid for your time.

Only if you can make your package unique (so that the product and expertise is inseparable) will you be able to make reasonable margin.

Thanks, I can see it from both sides. But if customers do not value and pay a bit more for the services we all provide they will disappear. Its the same with tree surgeons if the wood fairies fell the easy trees and leave you guys with all the difficult ones.

We stopped advertising for sales 10 years ago. We used to quote nearly 100 jobs a month which kept one man busy full time. On average we sold 3 generators. At a 5% margin did not even cover his wages.

My nearest decent supplier who hold a good level of stock is about 12 miles away.

So for large purchases it is worth the trip.

For smaller items such as chains I go on line.

For spares, as I am not reliant on saws for my main income, I also go on line. It is much easier to search for the bit with some one like Mister-Solutions or LS Eng, type in the part number, pay with Paypal, all very easy, saves a trip or phone call to the dealer and a possible trip to pick the bits up.

I think it is down to the suppliers to keep up with technology, a good web sight is essential, my nearest supplier is Honey Brothers who I have used for a long time. Their website is fresh and very good, but when I wanted a new saw I also looked at some of the other site sponsors sites to compare prices.

Retailers should not sit back and wait for people to come through the shop door, if they do then they will see a drop in sales as the next generation become their target buyers.

Is there an app for buying Stihl or Husqvarna spares? not that I am aware of. Is it was set up correctly a text to the suppliers and you should get it the next day. Look at Amazon for books, why would you ever bother to go to a town to visit a book shop.

I know that the market place is changing at a great rate, but wanting a smiling face behind a counter is sadly becoming a thing of the past.

Which of the site sponsors will be the first to do "Click and Collect".

H-A

can i say forest and arb are first class Richard and jason look after there customers. son in law wanted a new saw. a ms 251 asked for a price. and on checking around could not be beeten on price plus there service is second to none my blower pull cord broke went in was fixed in 2 hours ready to be used again. do not bother shopping around as i know there price will be cheaper or the same for same product. and if it breaks down will try and get you back working as fast as they can.:thumbup::thumbup:

My nearest decent supplier who hold a good level of stock is about 12 miles away.

So for large purchases it is worth the trip.

For smaller items such as chains I go on line.

For spares, as I am not reliant on saws for my main income, I also go on line. It is much easier to search for the bit with some one like Mister-Solutions or LS Eng, type in the part number, pay with Paypal, all very easy, saves a trip or phone call to the dealer and a possible trip to pick the bits up.

I think it is down to the suppliers to keep up with technology, a good web sight is essential, my nearest supplier is Honey Brothers who I have used for a long time. Their website is fresh and very good, but when I wanted a new saw I also looked at some of the other site sponsors sites to compare prices.

Retailers should not sit back and wait for people to come through the shop door, if they do then they will see a drop in sales as the next generation become their target buyers.

Is there an app for buying Stihl or Husqvarna spares? not that I am aware of. Is it was set up correctly a text to the suppliers and you should get it the next day. Look at Amazon for books, why would you ever bother to go to a town to visit a book shop.

I know that the market place is changing at a great rate, but wanting a smiling face behind a counter is sadly becoming a thing of the past.

Which of the site sponsors will be the first to do "Click and Collect".

H-A

I am sure your right but I find the younger generation are just as likely to pop into their local dealer and pick their brains for an hour before going outside and hitting the buy button on the ipod.

I am sure your right but I find the younger generation are just as likely to pop into their local dealer and pick their brains for an hour before going outside and hitting the buy button on the ipod.

I think the younger generation will be getting their information on line, do not discount forums for there information value, and other on line sources. They won't even bother going to the suppliers, they might Tweet them or look at their facebook page.

The information on this site and many others is at the front edge, If a product is not much good you may well see it here first.

Adapt and survive.

H-A

If I was a small local dealer I would be worried.

The internet has already changed the way customers shop but this is only the beginning.

The idea that a distant internet retailer cannot provide good customer support is flawed.

An example: I bought a £400 camera from Amazon 9 months ago. It recently developed a fault and I emailed Amazon to ask for it be repaired under the warranty. I was apprehensive as to what they would say and was not sure how they would fix it. 20 minutes after I sent the email I received a reply saying the camera would be replaced free of charge and the new camera had already been dispatched! The new camera arrived the next day. All I had to do with the old camera was put it in the box and drop it off at my local Texaco garage where it would be picked up and returned to Amazon.

I know that Makita in the UK already have a central service centre. You can send them any Makita item under warranty and they will repair and return to you all free of charge.

What happens if Stihl or Husqvarna go down a similar road? I can see a time when a chainsaw develops a fault, you get on your smart phone and book it in for a repair, you then drop it at a collection point on your way home. 48 hours later the fixed saw is returned and delivered to your door or to a collection point of your choice.

How does the local dealer get a look in?