I am truely shocked !!!!!!!

Dean Lofthouse

definatly a very badly secured load... for those who think its ok if you drive carefully.... you can be as careful as you like until a child runs out in front of you....

i followed home tonight a similar trailer with no load on, the ramps were just sitting on the flatbed, not secured at all.

how long does it really take to strap down a load??? if your organised with your straps/chains.. it takes minutes

if your straps/chains are in a tangled mess on the cab floor it will take a while.

how long would it take for any of you too forgive yourselves if your insecure load came off an killed 2 innocent children because you had to brake hard???

forget the fact of 'did it make it to its destination' ... tie it down properly to begin with

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definatly a very badly secured load... for those who think its ok if you drive carefully.... you can be as careful as you like until a child runs out in front of you....

i followed home tonight a similar trailer with no load on, the ramps were just sitting on the flatbed, not secured at all.

how long does it really take to strap down a load??? if your organised with your straps/chains.. it takes minutes

if your straps/chains are in a tangled mess on the cab floor it will take a while.

how long would it take for any of you too forgive yourselves if your insecure load came off an killed 2 innocent children because you had to brake hard???

forget the fact of 'did it make it to its destination' ... tie it down properly to begin with

:thumbup1:

Perfectly normal in devon. Regularly see 5-6 ton swing shovels on twin axles 3500kg ifors...

I took deliovery of a 5 ton mini digger about a month ago squeezed onto a big ifor plant trailer towed behind an L200! Thats a 6 ton train without the truck! and ignoring a few buckets and the barrels of diesel!:lol:

its probably quite bad but why get upset, this stuff goes on everyday, and eveyrone of us has driven a 3.5t several tons over weight a least once.

It rarely goes wrong, Women trying to use phones and drive are probably more of a worry...Enteraining thread though:thumbup1:

I took deliovery of a 5 ton mini digger about a month ago squeezed onto a big ifor plant trailer towed behind an L200! Thats a 6 ton train without the truck! and ignoring a few buckets and the barrels of diesel!:lol:

its probably quite bad but why get upset, this stuff goes on everyday, and eveyrone of us has driven a 3.5t several tons over weight a least once.

It rarely goes wrong, Women trying to use phones and drive are probably more of a worry...Enteraining thread though:thumbup1:

I hope you and folk like you grow up or get locked up:confused1:

'it rarely goes wrong'.........

that sums it up for me... next you will be asking for a round of applause because you bought the overworked l200 that was coupled to an ill-maintained overweight trailer safely to a stop............ , some of guys wish to credited with being skilled tradesmen, yet threads like this prove a minority of you are no better than the very people who give every trade a bad name :thumbdown:

Edited by skyhuck
language

Ifor williams only make the larger trailers with proper springs as far as I know not those rubber things which go hard with age. The bulk head does not look like ifor. I would say bateson or indespension. :biggrin: being a sad trailer spotter.

Your right Steve, it ain't an Ifor. It's defo an Indespension. I have a larger model from the same series. That one looks to be 10-12' long and 5 or 6'6" wide, hard to tell. (mine's a 14'x6'6")

That headboard iirc just slots in using the posts at the corners, just a poxy bit of 1.5" box section!

Something I often think is missing from design of small plant is manufactured tie down points, what you really want is somewhere to sling your hook from that is part of the chassis, all too often there is no great place :(

guys to be totally honest there is a good reason for dean being so outraged , but in all honestly this type of thing is going on all the time and the plod do not wish to get involved that often as the law regarding such matters is rather complex and results in way to much paper work for them . In an ideal world this chap would have been stoppe and a prohabittion order placed on the trailer and lorry .

There was recently a very big crackdown on trailers and loads in Essex. The police are getting more interested and more likely to pull you over. I've heard of a couple of people being pulled over for the number plates not matching the tow vehicle. In a lot of cases they are pulling people over to check if they have the right licence to tow a trailer.

Simple rule - secure the load properly, if you don't know how then ask someone who does. If your not sure if there are enough straps or chains holding something on then add another one.

Ed