What pitch?

hippytyre

I've had my 346xp for a few weeks now and getting along fine with it but I think I've dulled the chain a little and it could do with a sharpen. I'd like to buy one of the husky roller guides but as I threw the box away I don't know what pitch my chain is. Also, do you have any recommendations on which file/files I should get?

Thanks.

I've had my 346xp for a few weeks now and getting along fine with it but I think I've dulled the chain a little and it could do with a sharpen. I'd like to buy one of the husky roller guides but as I threw the box away I don't know what pitch my chain is. Also, do you have any recommendations on which file/files I should get?

Thanks.

check out pitch etc on Jones site on right- lots of useful info there

Not tried one but maybe one of these kits is a good idea:

Vallorbe chain sharpening kit | F R Jones and Son

You need:

File handle - should hold flat and round files.

Flat file - dressing the bar

Round files (3/16th / 4.8mm) - get pack of 12

Bar groove cleaner

Also one of these:

Oregon bar vice heavyduty | F R Jones and Son

Also get on a course or get a pro to show you how to sharpen properly.

Thanks guys, it's a new saw, I did check the bar but I couldn't see anything that would tell me the pitch. I'll get the .325 roller guide and the 3/16" files you suggested. My Dad probably has all of this but I'd rather have my own kit.

Getting your own kit is a good idea.

If you lift the chain from the bar there will be a little number stamped on the drive link of the chain.

In your case it should say 25.

This is H25 husqvarna chain:

H25 .325" 1,5 mm - Chains

It is actually made by Oregon and is the same as Oregon 21BPX

OREGON brand 20BPX, 21BPX, 22BPX .325" chainsaw chain

The Oregon guide is quite good for working out what chain / bar / sprocket you need:

OREGON®: Selector Guide

Don't forget sharpening the chain is just the first step. You also need to turn the bar regularly to make sure it wears evenly. And use a flat file to take off any burs or lips that form. You also have to watch the chain / bar / sprocket for wear and defects and replace if required. Cleaning the air filter is also a good idea. You also supposed to grease the clutch on the 346xp and the bar nose.

Did you keep the little book that came with the 346xp? Its worth a read.

Try looking on the sprocket although this is a pain if its still a husky chain it should read on the depth gauge as .325 or if an oregon chain then just 25.

And just read the above post and i thought i was being clever

Edited by ben lightfoot
learn to read others posts