Latin names: WHY?

s.varty

i always order trees in latin, no confusion in variety, i have to follow architects insane planting schemes, they write all their trees in Latin. Surveys, you might have 5 types of maple in one place, Latin distinguishes between them. I worked with scientists collecting tree data from many different countries working on one project, the Latin is the name chosen by all to identify the trees. Also there are interesting facts and information in Latin names, certain words mean certain things, e.g pesudoplatanus means a false plane. A lot of diseases are only called latin names..e.g phytophthora. Latin is just one of the tools arborists have at their disposal, if you write a lot of reports etc and surveys your going to probably use Latin, if all you do is work on the tools with no interest in biology etc then you wont, no harm in it. Its only like one climber using SRT where another doesn't, you can climb a tree with out SRT, i never use it, but i can see where SRT has its merits and that it can infact be a more effective way of climbing, much as Latin in the right situation can be a more effective and useful way of identifying trees. For anyone to slate people who choose to use Latin is perhaps a bit harsh, although i dislike people who look down there noses at people who don't use it. Just because you know Latin doesnt make you a good climber or even a good arborist, but nor does being just a good climber in any way make some one a good all round arborist.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing the Latin names is a good thing especially when a client starts spouting off all the species and you have no idea what their referring to.

A superb little book is Plant Names Simplified "Their pronunciation derivation and meaning"

A.T.Johnson and H.A.Smith

For everyone else there's Bill Hicks....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvs2g5Nj0NI]‪Bill Hicks- What your reading for?‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by treediver

What about Sälg, hästkastanj, ask, bok, pil, lönn, valnöt, vildkörsbär and oxel?:blushing:

YOU know what I mean...:sneaky2:

i did say it only covers about 99.999999% which if you talk in terms of swedish tree cover i'm not far off :001_tt2: though i forgot about lönn, lind? how could you forget lind, blod bok personal faivoret,

körsbär - they have been tasty this year :thumbup:

they use latin in medicine/dentistry/pests and diseases

Often use chemical names rather than makers names.

It just makes it more specific and it makes it a tool for discussion about the little differences or similarities between trees/shrubs. It's fascinating and I love talking latin names among like minded individuals.

Don't knock it just because you've got some reverse snob thing going on- just accept it and use it if you need to/were trained to or use popular names if you feel they suit you better.

It was explained to us that there are many common names within this country for the same weed. Just depends where you live. So if you use latin then there should be no confusion. Latin also helps with sub species for which there are often no common names.

Also adds to rich tapestry of life

Lamium punctata

It also acts as a barrier to entry into a world that normal people don't inhabit.

Exclusive eh? a bit V.I.P. :thumbup:

What really does get my goat is "Tree People" belittling domestic customers stating latin names for Common trees.

Unusual/specemin trees you may get away with and would come across ok, but come on.... Mrs Smith isn't interested genus, species and sub species........

"I'll deadwood your Ash Tree Missus" will do fine :thumbup1:

Many tree surveys only use the botanical names to describe the trees, many tree works orders the same. Given the international mix of workers in this country, it simplifies things if we all know which tree to cut, and which tree to leave. One common language... simple. Those who have learned to degree level will have a good grasp of the botanical names, they will go on to be bosses, foremen, surveyors and T/Os, those less educated will be told which tree to cut by those who know which tree to cut, knowledge = power! It only becomes pompous when used to "show off". If talking to a client, I'd use the English name to describe the tree in the corner of the garden, but if ordering a specific tree from Barchams, I'd use the botanical name to ensure getting the exact specimen I want.

What really does get my goat is "Tree People" belittling domestic customers stating latin names for Common trees.

Unusual/specemin trees you may get away with and would come across ok, but come on.... Mrs Smith isn't interested genus, species and sub species........

"I'll deadwood your Ash Tree Missus" will do fine :thumbup1:

I love being a bit posh with domestic customers

Means I can add 20% to the bill:lol:

Don't knock it just because you've got some reverse snob thing going on- just accept it and use it if you need to/were trained to or use popular names if you feel they suit you better.

No reverse snobbery going on, just amend the bold to: use it where appropriate and you will see my point.

latin is the basis of all european languages anyway, it was this universal link that led to its common use in science.

this threads a no brainer for me, not even an argument to be had on the pros and cons.

wrong NOT "all" European languages, look up Germanic languages which make up a majority of north European languages excepting French, that’s German, Dutch, English, all the Scandinavian languages, you then have Celtic etc etc etc.

You will find most of the world speaks a language that is NOT Latin based.

Got it:thumbup1:

Yeh- use it where appropriate is very much the case for me

Though sometimes I forget myself and it just slips out as it's my first choice language for all things plant. I'll often know the latin name but have to dig deep for the common. Then again I'll often use both.