accident NWS

Jason James Gairn

ooh golly! All got a bit out of hand there for a while. Anyone who knows my work knows I am a stickler for safe practices. Anyone who knows me would be surprised by my accident. Accident is an odd word where it could have been avoided, and it could have. I'm OK with the ridicule, I have many years of top climbing work to help with my bruised ego. Some one said that the scar is a sign of failure, and that's true. I love this industry and I would like to see it a safer industry too. The inherent risks are pretty obvious to all of us. How far we push those risks is down to us on the day. I cut a corner because I enjoy working fast. I failed to see that fast doesn't have to mean stupid. I didn't cut with the right hand and hold with the left because I was above the branch, and moving a few feet down would have slowed my momentum. Lazy. Lazy ain't cool. Stupid ain't cool, scars are cool if its a shark bite. We'll never know if my post will prevented anyone from doing the same thing, but I like to think it will. Stay safe you crazy guys.

Oh and thanks to all for well wishes.

• 4 months later...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Jason, you've probably moved on, being the big brave boy you undoubtedly are:001_tongue:

But four months down the line, a little update would be good.

Especially for the new members who've since joined our ever expanding merry community,

and who may have missed this gem (:sneaky2:) first time round.

Hows it going?

Any lack of dexterity/strength issues?

Has it had a mental effect and changed the way you tackle that particular application?

Btw

How's gripping the old Light Saber going, these days?

luke-arm.jpg.ee65bf1e1109825869cbd8f0270e076e.jpg

597653ccccf62_arm120copy.jpg.a9f83633b65e0beb0cb60df627db8fd4.jpg

The arm is doing very well as you can see from this picture. Light saber skills are a little off, but it's still more refined and not as clumsy as a blaster.

But and this is as good as any other time I guess, I retired from tree surgery on October 16th last year. Many things conspired towards this decision, the arm maneuver was just the last thing that had to fall into place. I've contacted flesh a few times now and I really like my limbs, like a lot! There's an old Jewish saying..."when 6 of your friends say you look ill, lie down."

I'm still rec climbing, but my income or lack of it rather, now comes from Film directing and photography.

I still think climbing is one of the best jobs in the world, I did it for 25 years.

But I'm an old man really and I'm past my prime as | climber. I wish I could have gone out on a high, with a massive take down, instead it was a pitiful lime reduction.

I've maintained my place on arbtalk because it's still my industry. Known it all my working life, so hard to let go.

I was going to have a goodbye party, but the time has past I think now. Might go and have it in the Angry Kid thread.

597653ccd8155_testpics019.jpg.92635667d4f5eb43601c19dcb7789ff3.jpg

this is the first i have seen this thread, firstly jason. ouch!!hope you are healing and good on you for posting the pics. i stopped using top handle saws 6 years ago because i didnt trust myself with one. I found i wouldnt get into position properly and swipe at stuff, use them on the ground for one handed snedding and so on. 2 friends of mine both have sank the saw into their left hands doing the same.

It wasnt till my top handle packed in and i had to pick up my 026, i realised how much i had forgotten about working with the wood. Break cuts and so on. Seeing what the wood is doing, depending on species and time of year.

but now that i have scaled down the business and i am wiser and more relaxed, not having the burden and stress that i used too, i am going to treat myself to a 020 soon.

as i feel they do have their place, and its not the saws fault its the person incharge of the trigger.

Well, I'm glad you've made a good recovery from this. You say you've retired from this due to age (amongst other reasons) Do you feel your age may have contributed in some way to having an accident, or is it that you are more willing to accept the frailty of the human body? I think as I've become older, I see more of the dangers in this job, which once upon a time I may have laughed off. To have a serious accident must affect the psyche to a certain extent. Good wishes for the future, whatever route you take.

...........this is as good as any other time I guess, I retired from tree surgery on October 16th last year. Many things conspired towards this decision, the arm maneuver was just the last thing that had to fall into place. .

In the words of the great Colonel Jessep "Well........Don't I feel like the freakin A-hole" :blushing:

Thanks for updating Jason.

Imagine this must have been a huge decision for you to quantify.

Well, "Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change."

Best of luck in your new direction :001_smile:

David

Edited by Monkey-D

First time I've seen this thread too.

Big decision to move on. This has been flying around my empty head for a while but I can't seem to let go. At 52 with over 30 years climbing behind me what do I do?

I've always striven to do the best work I possibly can and shudder when I see some examples of work around the country...one of the reasons I persist in climbing! Until this year I haven't felt any slower or less proficient but the accumulated bumps, breaks etc catch up.

So when do you call it a day and step aside and what do you do?