Ms261 or 346xp

SAM66S

I was going to get the little Dolmar, but it proved to be too expensive after all the complications.

Got the 550xp instead and really like it. 200grams lighter than the 346xp when fully fueled and oiled on a 15 inch bar and certainly a bit more powerful. The acceleration is remarkable. The 346 was no slouch and a rocket compared to the MS260 I had previously, but the 550 is in another league.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't the 550 feel very 242ish when snedding?

I'd really like to see a vid of the little dolmar - if they are getting that sort of torque out of a small conventional (non AT) engine then I'm intrigued :thumbup1:

What I like about the 550 is that it flies along snedding but rips through the back cut for such a small saw - almost like the lovechild of a 242 and 357- something the 346 IMO didn't do :biggrin:

Yes indeed, 242 ish in a nutshell. The dolly is a bulkier saw than the 550 but not as long tip to tail and is smoother in the cut (particularly front handle vibes). You know when you get hectic tops or when there's fat old dead pegs that are rock hard? The dolly is the first 50cc'er I've tried that isn't phased by them - it has the attitude and grunt to get rid of them very quickly and smoothly - no waiting around. The dolly is definately special because I now have a new dcs 5030 makita aswell for the perfect direct comparison since they are "the same" but they are not! Dolly has cat muffler, Mak doesn't. Apparently the 550/560 are cat muffled. Yet dolly outguns mak, sounds nicer (loose spark arrester). Mak came with 2 air cleaners and a limited carb. Dolly is Dolmar "Red Power" with mpi carb. Will have to get some vids up asap! We were ringing up a firewood stack last week and my mates had their 560xp and MS361 respectively. You go on the 560 and come away thinking b-hell that saw's mad. Pick up the 361 and you know, it was sweet and barely a micron behind...

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

I was going to get the little Dolmar, but it proved to be too expensive after all the complications.

Got the 550xp instead and really like it. 200grams lighter than the 346xp when fully fueled and oiled on a 15 inch bar and certainly a bit more powerful. The acceleration is remarkable. The 346 was no slouch and a rocket compared to the MS260 I had previously, but the 550 is in another league.

I can only apologise about this; I had to bring in minimum order of 100 for the import tax to keep the price at £380 delivered. Now at £410.

Another thing: it was almost a done deal that Dolmars' full range was coming back to the UK; this may yet happen - depends on fiscal health of uk import agent, but Dolmar are apparently wanting to do it. Perhaps my constant verbal abuse to the Makita rep paid off!

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

old thread i know but i want to add my opinion, i bought a 346xpg as my first saw but felt a traitor as everybody else seemed to rant on about the wonders of stihl, so fr my second saw i went stihl 441-cm and its not a patch on the husky just doesn't feel right and the issues i'm having with it not oiling right and the nose sprocket ceasing up are just annoying, so on ebay the other day saw a 395xp and treated myself it too is lovely, i have to agree with the majority husky all the way i just hope they nail the t540xp, if they ever release it!!!!!

t540 xp at CORWEN FORESTRY, just over £500