Do you use a Bedford or Foden?

elfinwood saws

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
Bought an ex army truck with a crane and i would like to know,what you have your,s registered as, agricultural/forestry/crane and the benifits and downfalls of each, i do a little bit of forestry and want the truck to help with this. here is a pic of it, bought it without the boxes and trailer. this photo was taken by the previous owner.:001_cool:

Nice truck, I used to own this Foden Limber. I was the second civilian owner and ran it for about 18 months to rallies up and down the country. Make sure you master the gearbox to be sure you don't ruin the clutch brake assy. Pm me for more info on what history I can pass on if you want. Ps I only ever managed 4mpg but ran it on Red as it was registered as a "special vehicle" ie crane.

One can legally take wood back to the base from the place of extraction provided it is owned and not haulage for someone else. (vehicles like JCB Fastrac/Unimog/Bedford... have load beds and the NFU insure to do this with VOSA/HMRC knowledge) The same for Agricultural produce like bales/carrots... direct back to base from the fields harvested.

Cannot use an Agricultural/Forestry classed vehicle to haul a mini digger on a loadloader to a private garden! Vehicle could then be impounded and large fines.

One can legally take wood back to the base from the place of extraction provided it is owned and not haulage for someone else. (vehicles like JCB Fastrac/Unimog/Bedford... have load beds and the NFU insure to do this with VOSA/HMRC knowledge) The same for Agricultural produce like bales/carrots... direct back to base from the fields harvested.

Cannot use an Agricultural/Forestry classed vehicle to haul a mini digger on a loadloader to a private garden! Vehicle could then be impounded and large fines.

Close but not quite right

Once again confusion between vehicle classification and fuel usage arises.

In practical terms what you do with a vehicle has little or nothing to do with its classification (registration). It’s not an offence to use a vehicle registered as anything other than general haulage for general haulage. The registration is an administrative function run by the DVLA in Swansea, they have no powers to impose fines or impound vehicles for “misuse” of registration categories.

Where you are going to come unstuck is with HMRC. The tax man has powers to fine and impound, they can also impose assessed fines where they work out how much duty you have avoided and “ask” you for that before they return your vehicle. If they are impounding they can also take whatever the vehicle is carrying. You will also be charged recovery and storage fees.

You can use rebated fuel (red) to move your produce from your land to your land, hauling tree surgery waste from a job needs to be done on white diesel.

Close but not quite right

Once again confusion between vehicle classification and fuel usage arises.

In practical terms what you do with a vehicle has little or nothing to do with its classification (registration). It’s not an offence to use a vehicle registered as anything other than general haulage for general haulage. The registration is an administrative function run by the DVLA in Swansea, they have no powers to impose fines or impound vehicles for “misuse” of registration categories.

Where you are going to come unstuck is with HMRC. The tax man has powers to fine and impound, they can also impose assessed fines where they work out how much duty you have avoided and “ask” you for that before they return your vehicle. If they are impounding they can also take whatever the vehicle is carrying. You will also be charged recovery and storage fees.

You can use rebated fuel (red) to move your produce from your land to your land, hauling tree surgery waste from a job needs to be done on white diesel.

I was meaning Agricultural/Forestry operations/produce and should have been more clear with wording. Private tree surgery use is different where even the vehicle chipping has to run on white according to the HMRC/VOSA/Insurance. The various people like AA NFU FCA HMRC DVLA VOSA all did a good PDF with the rules and which is allowed and when to avoid confusion.

Too much abuse will result in the German method where all fuel is white and one has to claim the tax back with all the additional paperwork. HMRC do check from the fuel suppliers who is using large amounts of fuel and then turn up to check vehicles.

If using vehicle for highway hedges and trees then "Red" diesel is fine. :001_rolleyes: