Chin-up bar

Mark Bolam

If the Russians are so hard, how come we chinned them in the Cold War?

Eh?

Do you not know your history?

Tsar Henry Kettlebellovic was already dead by then... thing might have been different if he was around I bet.

:blushing:

when was the Cold war?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we occasionally use to do chin ups at the judo/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu by throwing your gi (jacket) over the bars so you had to really grip to pull up and it was sport specific. But now i grip cups of tea and the remote for the tv thats enough for me, as stevie says though diet is sooo important a proper balance of protien and carbs, i stick to chips and eggs :lol::thumbup:

Anyone who really needs to get fit is welcome to come round to my place. Run here to get yourselves warmed up and then it's 'knees bend, grasp weed, pull'

More seriously it depends entirely on what you're trying to achieve and how much self discipline you have: bodybuilding, body strength or fitness.

In my heyday one picked the sport you loved and worked at it. Now if you want to be an athlete it's go to loughborough, get tested and they'll tell you want sport to do depending on muscle type and physiology...

there's a russian saying..to be able to press a lot you need to press a lot.

Western idea of strength and fitness training is to burn yourself out 3 days a week with 2 hr sessions in gym. this leads to long term adrenal fatique, damaged cns, more injuries and still pressing , squating etc same weight you did 10 years ago.

Russian and eastern idea is to practice the techniques and movements without burning out and do this regular. you should feel strong everyday. and by practicing high tension movements this will lead to strong overall body..anyway i could go on and on about this...but its arbtalk not fitnesstalk.

Just bought myself one of those £25 chin up bars that you assemble and it kind of hooks around the top of the door frame. I got it from argos. Its got different grips for doing biceps and all that but what I like about it is that I can do wider arm pull ups than with the bar that screws into the door frame. They do seem a bit flimsy though as they're held together with little nuts and bolts, so I might reinforce it somehow. Gone a bit mad with the chin ups today so I'm going to be sore tomorrow.. There is also less swinging involved than those of the inner door frame type which makes it safer, more ergonomic and effective.