Which oil/chain oil?

hippytyre

I've just received my first chainsaw (346XP), and I'm wondering which chain oil and two stroke oils to use and where to buy them. I work long hours so getting to places during the day to buy things is a hassle for me, would homebase, B&Q or Halfords have anything I can use? I'll probably buy online in the future but I wanted to use the saw this weekend.

Thanks.

Ps. How in the hell does that husqvarna grease gun work???!

Stihl 2 stroke is IMO about as good as it gets. Chain oil.....well pretty much whichever you like.....I use veg oil from the back of the chip shop.

Those grease guns for the bar....well I have NEVER used one, once you start you will always have to, but i was advised 14 years ago on my basic chainsaw course not to, and have not suffered any problems from it.

You can get decent 2 stroke online, if you can't get anywhere in the day to get it - I use Stihl Ultra, but any Stihl or Husqvarna oil will do. Bar oil, whatever you can get they all seem to be much the same.

I've never greased the bar tip, and not had a problem yet...

Some sprocket bearings are greased by pushing grease in to the middle of the end of the crank - some are drilled in the centre and have an exit hole under the bearing - not sure about the 346 though - havent had my non runners off the shelf yet!

Mister Solutions do a good line in Stihl oils - online and based in Stoke on Trent - Andy is a good guy!

Probably more important than either of the oils - make sure you buy decent branded petrol from a busy garage; make sure you don't keep the raw petrol for more than a month and any mixed petrol for more than a couple of weeks - and personally I reckon if you leave it in the tank for more than a week it's time to empty it and replace. The above timings are on the conservative side, but a lot cheaper than a new pot and piston.

One of the reasons I use Aspen pre-mix is that because I only use each specific saw occasionally, I like the fact that it doesn't go off in the tank.

Alec