two bad days in the rain :-(

Mr. Bish

Fair dos for posting this Mr Bish, not everyone would leave themselves wide open to criticism. I think you whacked the nail on the head very firmly when you stated that you were tired, you were rushing to get the job done in adverse conditions. This job takes no prisoners, one simple error can be fatal, or result in serious injury. Luckily for you the car was going for scrap, but what if someone was standing there for some unknown reason??? Always check your area properly. What were the rest of the team doing, dont they have eyes?

Give yourself time to do the job, if the weather turns, come back tomorrow, if your too tired, come back tomorrow, know your limits. Be safe, and good luck.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair dos for posting this Mr Bish, not everyone would leave themselves wide open to criticism. I think you whacked the nail on the head very firmly when you stated that you were tired, you were rushing to get the job done in adverse conditions. This job takes no prisoners, one simple error can be fatal, or result in serious injury. Luckily for you the car was going for scrap, but what if someone was standing there for some unknown reason??? Always check your area properly. What were the rest of the team doing, dont they have eyes?

Give yourself time to do the job, if the weather turns, come back tomorrow, if your too tired, come back tomorrow, know your limits. Be safe, and good luck.

:congrats::congrats:

No one else has mentioned it yet but I started to worry when I read;

"The next blooper was deciding that instead of going up the conifer to sort it out..." :scared1:

Perhaps I have misread this, but were you thinking of climbing the conifer? Would this not have been even more dangerous? I have very little experience but from what I gather you generally don't climb either of the trees, nor try to fell the tree its hung up in or start cutting lumps out of the hung up tree.

I'm sure that different situations dictate different actions, but as I understand it standard practice for a tree that size is to use a winch and pull it out butt first. (I'm happy to be corrected!)

Out of interest, you say you don't know what went wrong with the fells, did you go back and look at the stumps to check the hinge and your cuts?

top marks for havin the balls to post about this, I too have been struggling with my felling cuts for the last couple of months, luckily without the consequences of your problems. I have put it down to getting complacent, and have since forced myself to slow down a little and have a good hard look at what i am trying to achieve. This seems to have done the trick and everything is back on track. The crappy weather certainly doesnt help, and in my case, pressure of low paid LA jobs havent helped, but i no longer let the boss pressure me if i dont feel 100% about a job. I do it my way in my own time. Hope things improve for you.

• 2 months later...
No one else has mentioned it yet but I started to worry when I read;

"The next blooper was deciding that instead of going up the conifer to sort it out..." :scared1:

Perhaps I have misread this, but were you thinking of climbing the conifer? Would this not have been even more dangerous? I have very little experience but from what I gather you generally don't climb either of the trees, nor try to fell the tree its hung up in or start cutting lumps out of the hung up tree.

I'm sure that different situations dictate different actions, but as I understand it standard practice for a tree that size is to use a winch and pull it out butt first. (I'm happy to be corrected!)

Out of interest, you say you don't know what went wrong with the fells, did you go back and look at the stumps to check the hinge and your cuts?

Wait until you get a load of storm damage to do HSE goes straight out of the window :001_smile:

Well in for posting Mr Bish