Hamadryads diary- a new chapter

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the further north you go the more common that is! there are quite a few birch in salford (on the edge of woodlands and greenspaces) that display these fung's, i'll get piccies for you:biggrin:

So finally a Clinker then?

Pipto and Fomes on the same tree here is not uncommon...:sneaky2::biggrin:

well these three in one wood is a new one on me!

Oh get lost you lot:lol:

You missed a really good ATF meet this week david, really lively chatty one with lots of good energy, brian said it was the longest ATF field trip so far!

we had a great day:thumbup1:

Cool

Hadn't been to Sherwood for quite a while.

Missed oportunity

well these three in one wood is a new one on me!

Don't think I've got a shot of all three in spitting distance, but here's Fomes & Pipto next to each other on two stems of the same tree.

Will be interesting to watch which one fails first.

(in terms of simultaneous white rot or the brown rot)

IMG_0182.jpg.14ba00899595a359a7a939d489690808.jpg

Fomes & Pipto next to each other on two stems of the same tree. Will be interesting to watch which one fails first. (in terms of simultaneous white rot or the brown rot)

Not an uncommon combination in The Netherlands either and sometimes even on the same trunk, leaving behind a black demarcation line where the two mycelia and types of rot meet and compete.

IME Piptoporus is the faster (cellulose) decomposer causing the tree sooner to fall.

I came across this while looking for stuff to read, (im trying to do a bit of writing at the moment so hunting about!) and thought you lot may enjoy it also.

http://www.norsk-trepleieforum.org/foredrag/Francis_Schwarze_Wood_decay_under_the_microscope.pdf

Very interesting and a good, if a bit heavy on the biochemical specifics, bit of reading. Would definitely need reading several times, with referencing Google and re-learning what I learned in A level chem/bio, to fully grasp it all.

Thanks for posting :thumbup: