What new pickup...?

Ty Korrigan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you been in many X5's?

I have yet to go in one that is anywhere near as good as a rangerover and they are about on par for reliability and repair cost. Just dont use main dealers.

Also the 3.0 petrol X5 auto is a horrible weezing thing, I strongly recommend you avoid it.

i've had X5's in past and theres no way thereworse than a rane rover or range sport.

Would you include Range Rover in that Nick?

I'm a long way off finding out myself, but the game bird breeders near me are replacing their Hiluxes with LPG RR's to tow their trailers.

They reckon they can pick up 06's for silly money.

def would include range rover in that, there the WORST!!.

the new vw pickup looks brillaint. the engine will be bullet proof i feel and i dont think youll have a problem towing stuff * i dont tow much stuff personally but all the people i know that do have no problems with vw engines. plus it was the officials car's for the dakar rally so you know it can handle the terrain

After 23 years of Land Rover ownership I have just bought an 07 plate Ford Ranger Supercab and think its brilliant - much quieter and smoother ride than the Freelander it replaced and so easy to drive, very light steering and you hardly need to touch the accelerator to move!! Only concern is mpg, haven't used a full tank yet but I know it will be lower than the 34mpg I was achieving in the Freelander.

To be nonest, if you are buying new stick to what you can buy from a local dealer;they all come with warranty so its just down to personal choice.

DO NOT GET A LAND ROVER!! the new vw double cab looks good. was in argentina last month and there all over the place over there.

the new VW is lovely my father in law has one and is averaging 35+mpg i was looking at getting one but my VW dealer quoted me a year + for delivery.

totally agree the new vw looks lovely, only downside is they are only doing a 2l version for the diesel, but if towing big stuff is low on the agenda then the vw is the one for me

i drove one in argentina and might only be a 2l but my god did it fly.. all the farmers have replaced there toyotas with them..

the new vw pickup looks brillaint. the engine will be bullet proof i feel and i dont think youll have a problem towing stuff * i dont tow much stuff personally but all the people i know that do have no problems with vw engines. plus it was the officials car's for the dakar rally so you know it can handle the terrain

Saw a VW Amarok yesterday driving back towards a VW Commercial Showroom so went had a look. Spoke with sales chap - very few allocated to UK - something like 600 this year, Plymouth getting 40 or something like that.

Had a nosey at it; seems a bit smaller than the L200 / Hilux etc, but the tub was deep and roomy.

Them yanks say there's no substitute for cubic inches and I have to agree. So the 2.0 tdi might produce (2 options) 122 or 160 odd horsepower but having a high BMEP engine doing serious heavy work concerns me. Yes I know the VAG tdi's are excellent but you simply cannot build a 2000cc displacement engine as inherently robustly as a 2500cc; the margin of metal isn't there as such. A lower bmep larger displacement lump will always be more rugged and durable than a pressured smaller lump. BUT, the fuel efficiency of the TDI is a BIG draw I have to agree. I won't be buying one tho as they only come in double cab version. Point to note from brochure; the permanent 4WD Amarok is heavier than the 2WD with switchable 4WD but bizzarely has 1/4 tonne less load capacity i.e 750 kg instead of the typical 1020 kg etc.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

My Rodeo has just had its 252,000 mile service, the main dealer was not sure what to do for a service as the schedule wasn't long enough!

A quick calculation makes me think I've used about £60k of fuel and about £10k in servicing in five years. Tyres have lasted 70k, 110k and the set on there are half worn at 70k. One clutch replaced with a gearbox seal at 180k (warranty), no UJ's done, no wheel bearings and only one set of pads. She is still going strong and returning about 35mpg.

Shame that it has a tacho fitted tho - who else has a tacho in a crewcab?

I'd have another.

£60k in fuel!?

Do you leave it running of a night to keep the frost from Leicestershire?

Aw seriously, thats a good vehicle.

A question...Whats the advantage of an auto box?

I see it is relaxing for my old mum with her gammy legs but how does it affect towing?

Cheers

Ty