New Chainsaws

David oakman

aspen, endorsed by husky that way if my saws sieze, i view i have some comeback at the dealer that suppys me with kit,

prior to that was running the husky xp 50:1 stuff in 4litres of fuel same as the88man! but prefer aspen, and wont let anyone else put normal mix in any of them now,

Just out of interest, when did the 064 last have a new filters fitted (fuel oil and air)? as new fuel filters can make quite a difference in older saws

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just put everything on Aspen - new to 4 yo saws, blower, hedge cutters etc.

Buy most stuff (Aspen/new kit) from the same dealer who OKed everything for Aspen.

Everything bar a bit of tune on the blower running great (no sparking exhausts etc)

No messing about mixing/chance of getting it wrong etc.

I know there are some issues with Aspen on older stuff, but everything has gone fine for me and would not hesitate to recomend it (even if its just for the new stuff/ stuff thats 'in you face' like T's, hedge cutter, etc)

..and also remember to never rev your saw from stone cold, always allow a minutes ticking over BEFORE revving it.

What is probably happening is as I have described before, cold seize.

Pistons warm quicker than the cylinder, simply because there are cooling fins on the cylinder with air being blown over them. If you rev the balls off your saw from cold, the piston warms and expands very quickly where your cylinder is staying cold with all that air being blown round it and the piston tightens up in the cylinder causing scoring and eventually over time, seizure

From stone cold, simply start the saw as normal and leave it sat on the floor for a minute ticking over.

There is speculation that bio-alcohol added to petrol at the refinery is washing the oil off the bores. hence siezure.

Interesting!! I had some petrol that smelt like thinners and looked cloudy, whilst using it the pot and piston on my ms200 became scored thumbdown:

• 2 weeks later...

did an 064 in last year due to lack of oil, i only use stihl aswell. stihl dealer re built saw and said go to 25/1 we run every thing on it, and never have a problem, had 3 blown says this week! 50/1 is a way of making them cleaner for the euro bods. also you never quite get every last drop of oil out in to the can so your probably running 52/1.

run 25/1 stihl and no problems now.

did an 064 in last year due to lack of oil, i only use stihl aswell. stihl dealer re built saw and said go to 25/1 we run every thing on it, and never have a problem, had 3 blown says this week! 50/1 is a way of making them cleaner for the euro bods. also you never quite get every last drop of oil out in to the can so your probably running 52/1.

run 25/1 stihl and no problems now.

Running at 25/1 is a stinking horrible mix. 50/1 is bad enough when hedgecutting or cutting in close to conifers and getting slowly gassed.

Stihl dealers recommending 25/1? . Think i'd change dealer.