Help with strimmer

scbk

I've got a problem with a strimmer/brushcutter at one of the places I work at

It was losing drive, you put the throttle full on and the head would spin to an extent, but try cutting something and it would stop, with the engine still going full whack. So obivously a problem in either the clutch or the drive/gearing

It was put in to a machinery centre for repaired and they came back and said it was a fault in the gearing but they can no longer get the parts (it's a Komatsu Zenoah), and that they could do a good deal on a new machine! :001_rolleyes:

I collected it from their workshop (in pieces)

From looking at it, I can't see anything damaged, but the inner shaft (drive shaft) appears to be a few inches too short :confused1:

So with the parts assembled onto the main outer shaft, the drive shaft can only be in one end at a time

The drive shaft is a round bar with about an inch of spline at either end

:confused1::confused1:

I hate to say this, but I did some calculatons with the calipers, and "removed" an inch off the end of the main outer shaft, then realised that I had made a mistake and would actually have to remove several more inches for it to actually work, dunno if it would still touch the ground after that lol :laugh1:

Perhaps the inner shaft got wet and shrunk:biggrin:

All sounds a bit strange IMO, there is always a logical explanation - are you sure one of your service gugs didnt put the wrong drive shaft back? You don't just wake up one day and find a component like that is 3-4 inches shorter.

You have me worried - going to measure all my saw bars just to make sure:lol:

All kidding aside, if your certain about the length of drive shaft being shorter than when you dropped it off for repair, some one has switched shafts. Perhaps it may have been done by mistake or the offer of a "good deal" on a new machine had something to do with a solution to your problem. I would try and get a second opinion, and decide from there.

Good hunting.

elg

I'd never worked on the machine before it went into the shop

Maybe the end of the shaft has sheared off, and thats why it wasn't allowing proper drive, (but the end of it doesnt look like it has been snapped). Or maybe there would normally be another piece of gearing on the end of the shaft that was damaged, but not returned with the strimmer

Hmmm think I might take my own strimmer apart to see if I can get any ideas

• 2 weeks later...