Designer Logs

ash1

so that means if logs have a sky high price,your potential customers wont buy from you?

do you tell your customers about the price of wood before you sell them a stove?

do you tell them if they get there wood free it will cost them nothing to run there stoves apart from (a little time and brute force)

also if they have to pay for there wood it will might be cheaper to keep there gas or oil?

if youve ever tried doing and selling firewood youll know where the prices come from?:001_smile: its hard graft

First of all my stoves are all sold on eBay. So no prior contact. Also seasoned hardwood is available from members on here for £25 a builders bag now!!

And yes I have processed and sold logs so know exactly what’s involved.

Keith

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all my stoves are all sold on eBay. So no prior contact. Also seasoned hardwood is available from members on here for £25 a builders bag now!!

Keith

Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear ... if you think that is viable I am out of this thread now

Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear ... if you think that is viable I am out of this thread now

Dave

Whether you think its viable is immaterial that’s what he sells a builders bag of seasoned hardwood for!!

Keith

Keith

so youll know the amount of man power / time / cash out lay / machinery / delivery times etc etc going into cutting chopping delivering logs.

you didnt answer my questions about if you told your customers before they bought there stoves? or even after they had bought them?

why did you stop selling logs and go into selling stoves?

also would you still be in the market in selling stoves if log prices were to rise as much as gas and oil?

weve all got to live and make money just as well as the bp and shell kings !!!!

peoples prices reflect on there out goings...

best of luck to all who sell logs either 25 or 120 per cube.... i know where my prices are and what they reflect:001_smile:

rant over im off for a taylor made brew.... yorkshire tea:thumbup:

Dave

It’s not about what I would charge an hour for my time it’s about market forces. Rob’s right some people who have already invested in their stove will continue to pay £120 for a cube but and a big BUT it will prevent a sizeable proportion of the general public buying a stove when they can use gas or oil with no mess or preparation and the reason I know this is because I sell stoves!!

At the end of the day it makes no difference to me what wood costs because I will never have to pay for it even if I lost my contractor.

Keith

No, its not its about supply and demand. The massive rise in the price of cordwood also pushes up the price of logs. If you produce a good product you will get premium money for it.

By the way, no one will get a cube off me this year for any less than £140.

And if that means me having enough wood to last until March, I'll be a happy man.

so youll know the amount of man power / time / cash out lay / machinery / delivery times etc etc going into cutting chopping delivering logs.

you didnt answer my questions about if you told your customers before they bought there stoves? or even after they had bought them?

why did you stop selling logs and go into selling stoves?

also would you still be in the market in selling stoves if log prices were to rise as much as gas and oil?

weve all got to live and make money just as well as the bp and shell kings !!!!

peoples prices reflect on there out goings...

best of luck to all who sell logs either 25 or 120 per cube.... i know where my prices are and what they reflect:001_smile:

rant over im off for a taylor made brew.... yorkshire tea:thumbup:

Log supplier

I did answer your question, I have no contact prior to selling or after.

I sold logs as I enjoyed it which was the same reason I bought all the kit, it was never my main income.

What you sell logs for is entirely up to you but you also have to accept that some businesses have logs as a by product and as such may sell them at a much lower rate.

I don’t make the prices I simply look at what’s available.

A tree surgeon does not pay for Arb waste it’s simply a by product so if he wants to process it into logs a sell them for £25 a bag that’s up to him or her.

You only have to look on eBay, builder’s bags of Oak for £35.

Keith

Log supplier

I did answer your question, I have no contact prior to selling or after.

I sold logs as I enjoyed it which was the same reason I bought all the kit, it was never my main income.

What you sell logs for is entirely up to you but you also have to accept that some businesses have logs as a by product and as such may sell them at a much lower rate.

I don’t make the prices I simply look at what’s available.

A tree surgeon does not pay for Arb waste it’s simply a by product so if he wants to process it into logs a sell them for £25 a bag that’s up to him or her.

You only have to look on eBay, builder’s bags of Oak for £35.

Keith

i fully understand what your at, but a tree surgeons waste is a perk of the job, just like a sparky with the left over wire / a plumber with left over cut off pipes...

logs is a harder perk and thats why some are selling at high prices.some at low.. there still wages to be paid fuel to be bought and machines to be paid for...

some perks are harder than others

im off for a refill and to view comparethelogs.com

happy cutting sawing splitting or what ever to all..

ahhhhh - is fuel sustainable at £1.37 a litre for derv and now red quoted at 72p a litre, heating oil now at similar prices, running a truck aint going to be easy, yet alone all the machines, calor gas has gone up again and our coal man tells me hes on summer prices which are higher than before christmas as theres been two prices hikes in the last 6 months for coal.

Dave

It’s not about what I would charge an hour for my time it’s about market forces. Rob’s right some people who have already invested in their stove will continue to pay £120 for a cube but and a big BUT it will prevent a sizeable proportion of the general public buying a stove when they can use gas or oil with no mess or preparation and the reason I know this is because I sell stoves!!

At the end of the day it makes no difference to me what wood costs because I will never have to pay for it even if I lost my contractor.

Keith

what you omit to mention is security of supply.

last winter, with at least two feet of snow on the deck, I had many customers who couldn't get coal, oil or gas deliveries for between 6 to 8 weeks. I supplied them all within 24 hrs of receiving their orders. If i had not supplied them there are at least 6 competitors within 5 miles who would have served them. So, oil and gas may be more convenient but wood is ubiquitous and supplied very competitively in an open and free market. you cannot say that about the alternatives.

with regard to m3 prices, £120 m3 is a distant dream in NE scotland.

softwood (very popular up here) is freely available at £40m3, hardwood at £60 to £70m3. both prices are for delivered wood.

I don't have any waste any more ! nearly every one I work for keeps the logs or I charge extra to cut them up... 4 years ago I would struggle to move all my timber, now I have given up that yard because there is no timber coming off tree surgery work to fill it!