Catch 22 gaining experience but no-one will employ you!

656solo

You all seem to be missing my point, I may have an hgv licence but I don't want to only be an hgv driver ,(from some of the replies, as usual i've been pigeon holed as exactly that!). I mean if thats the case if you have a normal driving licence ,should you automatically be a courier or a taxi driver? Also I havn't said that I was only looking locally for work, but if the cost of traveling to a site ,is more than you're being paid for being there, it's a completely pointless exercise, working for nothing i'm already doing, I can't afford to pay to work for someone else which would in effect, be what I was doing;-).

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are missing the point 656solo. There are alot of arb firms who need drivers with HGV, yet are being approached by youngsters who cant even tow over 750kg. The points being made are that your HGV ability is a BONUS to a firm with big kit, NOT that you should JUST be a driver. Like Mark says- drive the HGV machine and all day long do your arb work. The HGV could be carrying waste away from site, or have a big machine that needs transporting to site, etc etc.

Negativity will get you absolutely nowhere. You have a skill in driving HGVs, as Tommer said this is a valuable asset which will set you apart from many others, so use it to your advantage. I suggested agency driving as an example of a fill in job between jobs, I know a landscaper who does agency driving in his quiet times to top up his income. Lets face it, starting out in this job you are never going to earn top money for a few years.

Many of us have been in your shoes at one time or another, and many are at the same stage now. Its how you move forward that dictates your future.

I think you are missing the point 656solo. There are alot of arb firms who need drivers with HGV, yet are being approached by youngsters who cant even tow over 750kg. The points being made are that your HGV ability is a BONUS to a firm with big kit, NOT that you should JUST be a driver. Like Mark says- drive the HGV machine and all day long do your arb work. The HGV could be carrying waste away from site, or have a big machine that needs transporting to site, etc etc.

We are not looking for staff but if we were HGV would be HIGH on the wish list.

We have had to put 2 guys through at considerable costs and would ideally like another backup but as tommer said I also need to put 3 through so they can tow a trailor.

They are tree guys that drive the 18tonner to jobs and back again:thumbup:

I would not employ just a guy to drive

You all seem to be missing my point, I may have an hgv licence but I don't want to only be an hgv driver ,(from some of the replies, as usual i've been pigeon holed as exactly that!). I mean if thats the case if you have a normal driving licence ,should you automatically be a courier or a taxi driver? Also I havn't said that I was only looking locally for work, but if the cost of traveling to a site ,is more than you're being paid for being there, it's a completely pointless exercise, working for nothing i'm already doing, I can't afford to pay to work for someone else which would in effect, be what I was doing;-).

Sorry but straight away from this post I would not employ you as the above smacks of a 'bad attitude'.

No one is pigeon holing anyone and starting a post 'you are all missing my point' is a sure way to irritate any potential employers out there.

You would only be 'working for nothing' for a day or two to max in order to show someone you'll work hard so it's not a completely pointless exercise.

or you could go into hair dressing for a complete career change, that way youd need'nt drive anything bigger than a micra.

the attitude that comes across in your post is not going to do you any favours. the fact is HGV is very valuable in the world of arb, so take advantage of the fact you have it and sell yourself with it. youve had many good responses of people offering genuine advice on here and that reply is not the way to thank them. beggars cant be choosers mate and you need to make yourself employable by using what youve got.