Climber or Arborist?

Steve Bullman

Do you consider yourself a climber or an arborist?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself a climber or an arborist?

• Climber
    • Arborist

I would go so far to say I definitely think like an arborist, although in truth I am a bit of a zealot and would be a die-hard dead, dying, dangerous adherent left to my own devices. I have only worked with trees since the end of 2003, so I feel it is a bit pompous of me to say I am an arborist: I still have so much to learn.

Without a doubt, though, I am a Tree Lady :001_smile:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the job description - when I've worked as a consultant I've been an arboriculturist; when I've been doing practical tree work as well as dealing with customers I've been an arborist. Don't think I'd ever be able to be "just" a climber, even if I'm subbing for a tree surgeon, too much knowledge stuck in my poor head, even though I sure wish I could be at times (especially now that I've been supplied with a new cruciate ligament and am supposed to keep still...). In my head and heart though, I'll always be a climber.

Question is: what do you call yourself if you work as an arb tutor? Arboriculturist may sound a bit posh to the learners...

Well, I'm certainly no climber, not got the qualifications to class myself as an arborist.

Doesn,t matter Andy.

I am a firm believer that qualifications do not make you good at whatever those qualifications are. If I were an employer, I would go on what I hear at the job interveiw and then trial the applicant.

Many a good worker is lost to not having the correct (PC) quals.

I have not got any qualifications for welding, but one day when working at a fabrications company, a representative came in from British Nuclear Fuels to oversee the testing five welders for stick welding plate stainless. They had to do three test pieces which would be Xrayed, cut down the middle and checked.

These welders were very experienced on Mig and Tig, but not on stick. BNFL stipulated that you had to stop the weld halfway through then restart without leaving air pockets etc.

For fun I asked if I could have a go because I had done lots of stick welding. Lucky I did, because I was the only one that passed the tests and ended up welding stainless steel extractor fans for BNFL and so the company I worked for won a lucrative contract.

I was, at the time a spraypainter, painting huge mild steel (mig welded) extractor fans for another BNFL contract, spraying fans to exact and strict standards, using specail paints that had to be applied at an exact thickness in microns to end up drying at a certain min thickness when all the solvents had evaporated, all to be worked out with solid and solvent percentage contents.

You can't get much fussier than BNFL

... and again, no other qualification for spray painting other than experience and a desire to do a good job and do it properly.