Views please on carlton chains

predator

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was going to ask them same question regarding oregon chains, I have 1 on a 20" bar and a stihl chain on a 16" bar. Even when cutting small stuff the Oregon chain doesn't seem to cut the same. Anyone else find this between the two, I will be sticking with stihl chains as I only had the Oregon because got gave to me with a new bar. I won't be rushing to buy a replacement when it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was going to ask them same question regarding oregon chains, I have 1 on a 20" bar and a stihl chain on a 16" bar. Even when cutting small stuff the Oregon chain doesn't seem to cut the same. Anyone else find this between the two, I will be sticking with stihl chains as I only had the Oregon because got gave to me with a new bar. I won't be rushing to buy a replacement when it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Of the 200 + chains Oregon make some are heavily guarded and don't perform like the pro chains, i am the Oregon area mgr for NI and invite you to try the latest pro chains like 22BPX and 22LPX .325 chains and 75LPX 3/8 chain for your saws amongst many others, PM me your number and town and i'll direct you to the nearest Oregon dealer.

Once you have tried these X chains i would appreciate your comments here on Arbtalk.

I was looking on the box on a carlton chain i got as a spare with the stihl saw i bought from ebay it says made in usa so are they any good as my chainsaws have all got either stihl or oregon fitted

i even asked our local stihl repairer he tells me he sells loads no probs but iam stihl very wary of change etc and as there half the price i suppose you get what you pay for ??

Hi

Blount [Oregon] own Carlton and i'll give you an overview which i hope will put a perspective on the difference between the two brands.

Carlton company was formed by ex Oregon people who went their own way the factory is also in Portland Oregon USA, Carlton chain is much like the old style Oregon chain from years back and has been used as a budget chain IMO from the Blount group for many applications from domestic saws to Harvester chain.

I have in my career worked for two Carlton distributors in the UK as well as Blount for the last 10 yrs, the main difference in manufacturing is that the cutters are ground sharp prior to chain assembly and each rivet is lubricated on assembly.

Carlton's range of chain mirrors that of Oregon but doesn't have what we call full feature technology, until recently we [blount UK] also sold Chipmaster brand as a budget range which was made in the Carlton factory.

Todays saw mfg are looking for low cost entry point chain to bring the saw to market and Carlton is chosen by some for this reason, the same old technology is used for the Husky chain we make for them, this leaves the latest spec chain sold by Oregon dealers which is faster, has more features and the new X grind cutters that are 15% more faster at cutting and clearing.

So old technology [for the time being at least] v Oregon and as the special steel used to make chainsaw chain has just rocketed in price all chainsaw chain will have to increase in price so Carlton will not be so cheap in the future.

Sam [the main man at Carlton for over 25 yrs] taught me a lot about chain and i have the greatest respect for "Mr Carlton" who is now retired and living in the south in the USA.

Thats my view.

Les

Hi

Of the 200 + chains Oregon make some are heavily guarded and don't perform like the pro chains, i am the Oregon area mgr for NI and invite you to try the latest pro chains like 22BPX and 22LPX .325 chains and 75LPX 3/8 chain for your saws amongst many others, PM me your number and town and i'll direct you to the nearest Oregon dealer.

Once you have tried these X chains i would appreciate your comments here on Arbtalk.

Les don't forget the 95vpx 325 1.3 gauge even better :thumbup:

When you look at different chains you have to bear in mind that both Stihl and Oregon do a range of chain in the same sizes. Some are full chisel, some micro chisel, some semi-chiesel, some have a lot of kickback reducing features etc so to get a true comparison you need to compare like for like.

All Granberg ripping chain is modified Carlton chain. I've used it and sold it for 5 years and although it maybe isn't quite as good as Stihl and Oregon chain it's not that far off.

A blind testing between chains would be good!