Survey on stress

boabab

if you only got one day booked next week john you're obviously too expensive :001_tongue:

im actually booked well in advance at the moment,which is very nice.i just find that some firms i subby to are a bit slack at organising there diarys and expect you to drop everything to come and climb for them...more stress haha:001_smile:

I am in a two man team so I am both I guess.

EMPLOYEES

-What task brings about a higher level of stress?

Realizing that I underquoted

Groundsman having a SLOW day

Very pernicity clients who want the impossible

Machine breakdown

-How does the level of stress affect the employees possibilities to carry out his tasks?

Sometimes we work better as a result. Faster probably as opposed to better.

-In what ways does this affect the employees health?

None that I have noted

-Own strategies to handle stress?

Reach down to trouser pocket, find a comfy spot as high as possible. SMOKE in peace

-Does the stress experience as a problem?

don't understand

EMPLOYER

-Is there a awareness of what tasks results in a higher level of stress? YES

-What tasks result in negativ stress for the employer?

Groundie not being alert to whats happening in tree.

-Strategies to reduce stress for both parts?

Communicate calmly. Dish out firm words spareingly. Never give a bollocking when angry.

-Experienced conseqvenses of harmful stress for the employer/employee?

Tense atmosphere, tree felling less accurate

I used to be stressed out pretty much all the time when I had my own company. I now work freelance and its almost stress free.

Most of the guys I work with are stessed out on a daily basis, especially the ones with any managerial responsibility. My policy is, I don't earn enough money to get stressed, if I don't like it, I just don't do it!.

Work to live don't live to work!.

I really don't think there are any uniquely stressfull areas in this business,everyone is nervous when they are new to the job and attempting somthing at the edge of their competence.

The stress I experiance from the business and financial side of operations is shared by anyone running their own company.

For me the stressful side of things is the admin, running the business paying the wages etc, It got so bad recently that i can actually feel it coming on in the mornings, then if things go wrong during the day I start getting grumpy with my staff. I did'nt use to get it a few years ago but as the business has grown so has the stress. Pete is absolutely right though: as soon as you go up a tree it all melts away untill you come down again and find you've run out of two stroke or the lads have spilled chain oil on someones block paving.

It is interesting how not only stress melts away when you're up a tree; how often do you come down and notice that its pi**ing down and you're soaked but had'nt noticed before or that you've cut yourself on something but did'nt feel it?

I get stressed because I never seem to get time off.

6.30am straight out of bed and load truck up whilst kettle boils, make flask and sandwiches.

7.45 off to work, listen to "while your here can you just" all day and answer phone whilst 45ft up.

3-4pm come home, groundy gets off, I unload and set off down the wood to tip.

5pm ish look at calls and go out pricing jobs get home about 7pm and start working on house till 10pm

Go to bed, get up in morning for cycle to begin again.

Late calls, why do people think they can flipping phone you at 10pm or even after 7pm :mad1: Had one last night at 9.45 and tonight I've just taken another call.

...and most wait till friday when you are just beginning to try and wind down.

... and what stresses me most is dealing with toss pots at call centres trying to get a leccy shutdown !!! aarrrggghgh:mad1:

Way I deal with it?

Wait till someone leaves my gates open in the wood and grab them by the throat, lift them off their feet and wait till they turn blue then let go.

Or, strap two pillars round your head and run round the garden screaming as loud as you can, no-one hears you but it releases that tension.

Best way to release stress without you realising is to be vocal when your driving, just moan and complain about everything and everybody and call other drivers all the names under the sun, fit one of the electronic machine gun sounds things to your steering wheel so you can press a button and machine gun them.

"What love" ?

"OK love"!

Have to go chaps, wife wants to lock me in my padded cell, it's that time of day.

Amen....To that :closedeyes:

EMPLOYER

-Is there a awareness of what tasks results in a higher level of stress?

yes - too much of everything, I find no task in particular stressfull - its the bad payers that give me immense financial pressure

-What tasks result in negativ stress for the employer?

chasing money

-Strategies to reduce stress for both parts?

Sex, Alcohol and sleep.

-Experienced conseqvenses of harmful stress for the employer/employee?

In my case, acute kidney disease brought on by stress.

You can write what you want and how little you like. thanks again!

In all honesty, there is'nt a sngle treework task that stresses me out, its the financial & administrative side.

My biggest plus is the great guys who work for me, never really give me cause for stress.

As an arb supplier.

Stress this month = Having to get up at 5.30 and work till 6/8, Stihl changing their policy, arranging 4 shows (marquees, van hire, staff, hotels, stock etc etc...) Looking after 7 staff and their associated problems including petrol put in diesel van and driven 50 miles, bad back making me look like a lazy barsteward, outstanding money over 4 months, one professional arb that took a MS200T from me 18 months ago and is now ignoring my calls (will name and shame soon)

Stress Relief = Lovely wife and boy, nice house to come home to when i finally finish, looking to the future, good beer and wine, and this good rant on here.

ahh thats better.

Dont feel qualified to comment on stress in the workplace, although when I lost my Dad I suffered from stress through trying to sort his affairs. Stress manifested itself in many ways, from severe chest pain, constant stomach upsets, headaches, lack of tolerance of others, haemorroids and other side effects. I put up with it for 2 years then saw the doctor, and the first thing he asked was whether I'd lost a close relative!! He was surprised that I hadnt gone for medical help earlier, but my reply was that I'd been too busy, tried to work to keep my mind of the problem, rushing here and there.

I think th best relief from the stress was actually recognising it, and talking about it with someone who was not directly involved with the cause. The males of this species rarely open up and talk of personal matters with others, yet that is probably the best cure.

I think th best relief from the stress was actually recognising it, and talking about it with someone who was not directly involved with the cause. The males of this species rarely open up and talk of personal matters with others, yet that is probably the best cure.

How obvious yet unquestionably pertinent, thanks for posting Andy.

Can only hope I remmember this little jewel when required.