balsam poplar protected???

testcricket01

had a eventful day today had a balsam poplar to remove this mornings job A, was to close to the house's B, was to big for how close it was and C, because it was a twin stemed split at about 1 inch off the ground to about 4ft off floor as we sliced it they split.

anyways we battled on for a hour or so had one stem rigged out to a pole then we rigged out the 2nd stem to almost a pole (two 3inch tops left) and a very angry lady turns up shouting the odds saying how dare we cut down this tree blar blar going on about how its a council tree and its a protected species, cut a long story short i came down, gave her the details of the estate agents i was doing the job for, off she went we sat in the truck for a hour or so get a call from estate agents telling me ignore her there mangers have just doubled checked and its all fine. so we get straight back out the truck rigged out the remaining before woman came back :001_rolleyes:

im basically just having a rant, but made me think ooooo sh*t im in for it now. but as far as i no theres no protected trees is there apart from TPO'ed trees and conservation area etc??

You would be correct, our only restrictions are TPO's, conservation areas, and felling licences.

your lucky, i had to cut down a tree, that the neibours did not want cutting. It turned out that she was a police lady. About half an hour later as i was starting to deal with the brash, two police cars and four officers turned up, and i had to wait in the police car while they 'sorted it out'

Not a good day.

It does get tedious when you get endless grief for being tree murderers from people who frequently have an ability to shout but no real knowledge of tree and property law. I think that's got to be better than no one giving a proverbial one about the trees in their neighbourhood, I suppose though?

You should have given her the estate agent's number and let them have the arguement and sat back and enjoyed the show :sneaky2:

If there are no planning constraints (Con' areas, TPOs), you are not felling enough to warrant a felling licence and you have the legal owner's / agent's permission, then you were legally entitled to be doing what you were doing.

You would be correct, our only restrictions are TPO's, conservation areas, and felling licences.

your lucky, i had to cut down a tree, that the neibours did not want cutting. It turned out that she was a police lady. About half an hour later as i was starting to deal with the brash, two police cars and four officers turned up, and i had to wait in the police car while they 'sorted it out'

Not a good day.

That smacks of so much abuse of (perceived) power. Can you recall everything that was said to you by the police quite clearly?

Have worked on all species of poplar that have had TPO's mind you they are in a garden city and part of the original planting so probably regarded as historic even though they should of been felled years ago!,but considering there's only letchworth and welyn garden citysi guess that's pretty rare? Have also come across gardens with covenants that protect trees these are not tpo's though but again probably another garden city thing...

Had the exact same thing on a large yellow wood yesterday, I was quite convinced as the guy sort of new what he was talking about, and said he new his old neighbour had put a TPO on it.... The TO had been out day before but I thought maybe he had made a mistake! Any way the bloke was talking rubbish and he definietly didn't get any of the wood for turning!

today had a balsam poplar to remove this mornings job A, was to close to the house's B, was to big for how close it was and C, because it was a twin stemed split at about 1 inch off the ground to about 4ft off floor as we sliced it they split.

Had you explained to this that the tree had a major defect, with targets? I (usually) find that taking a few minutes to explain things to people, in a language they can understand, will resolve a situation.

Tree protections/restrictions, as far as I'm aware, are:

1. TPO's - LPA

2. Conservation Areas - LPA

3. Planning Conditions (usually only enforceable for 5 years unless says differently and often used to retain development site peripheral trees/hedgerows but can also apply to new tree plantings) - LPA

4. Felling Licence - FC

5. Restrictive Covenant (rare) - Landowner / original developer or agent who has purchased 'rights' (sorry dont really know much more)

6. SSSIs (dependent upon designation type and not usually direct tree protection) - NE

7. WCA 1981 - Plymouth Pear as an endangered species (local to Devon/Cornwall)

8. Legal injunction (don't really understand these but remote possibility...I think)

Obvioulsy the first 4 protections/restrictions are the ones I would expect you to have an awareness and understadning of, the others much (much) less so.

Hope this helps..

Paul

Regardless of the fact the estate agent had checked for you mate i always make sure my self i know its a pain to always check but it does only take 5 minutes on the phone, and could save you a hefty fine:001_smile:

sounded like a good job though buddy did you get any video or photos?:001_cool: