roberthill83

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Robert,

As the willow is only small i would not worry about the above points too much, yes they can cause problems with drains but only if the pipe has a crack or hole in it already. The roots wont just grow towards the pipe and break into it themselves. As regards the foundations of the house, the type of soil that you are on mades a differance. Where in the country are you ?

Don't listen to this, i have worked on drains for many years including houses that have been built in the last three years that have root invasion. Roots will break through vitreous clay pipes as well the new plastic pipes. All it takes is a small fracture in a clay pipe, or a small weeping joint on a new plastic pipe and the roots will find their way in especially in dry times as we are having in East Anglia at the moment. With the dry ground, and its movement, pipes will move too, and roots will find a way in.

Hi Robert,

As the willow is only small i would not worry about the above points too much, yes they can cause problems with drains but only if the pipe has a crack or hole in it already. The roots wont just grow towards the pipe and break into it themselves. As regards the foundations of the house, the type of soil that you are on mades a differance. Where in the country are you ?

Did you skip the manholes (Drains)?:sneaky2:

Don't listen to this, i have worked on drains for many years including houses that have been built in the last three years that have root invasion. Roots will break through vitreous clay pipes as well the new plastic pipes. All it takes is a small fracture in a clay pipe, or a small weeping joint on a new plastic pipe and the roots will find their way in especially in dry times as we are having in East Anglia at the moment. With the dry ground, and its movement, pipes will move too, and roots will find a way in.

Er, that IS what Riggerbear said. If there is a source of moisture and nutrients, like from a crack in the pipes, then the roots will follow it and take advantage of it. They may also use the condensation formed around old metal pipes, but they're not going to do a smash n' grab and break into your sewers.

Did you actually read the post you just commented on?:confused1:

Yes....

If the tree is left and unmanaged like most trees next to houses will be.. its too big can you come and remove the tree,as its blocking all the light and the lawn is getting wrecked

Remove it down to its nice a small and will only take 20mins and will save the client a large bill then a small bill and it wont get to the point of it being rather large as its a willow

Plus down to the size i think the client could remove it himself quite safely.

Forget drains, manholes, soils etc, that tree's going to get seriously massive and is not suitable long term for the location.

Replace it now with something more suitable or get used to not being able to see out of your windows and permanently clogged gutters.

If you're going to do the work yourself, have a quick check with your Tree Officer that there aren't any planning contraints, or it could end up a very expensive bit of gardening.

Yes....

If the tree is left and unmanaged like most trees next to houses will be.. its too big can you come and remove the tree,as its blocking all the light and the lawn is getting wrecked

Remove it down to its nice a small and will only take 20mins and will save the client a large bill then a small bill and it wont get to the point of it being rather large as its a willow

Plus down to the size i think the client could remove it himself quite safely.

I think rover meant that the guy posting is the client! :lol:

Hi Robert,

When I moved into this house there was quite a large willow in the garden which buggered up the soakaway from the septic tank and caused much unpleasantness. We had to have the roots dug out and a new soakaway installed. And a lovely big shed put in it's place. :thumbup1: (But the shed may not be necessary in your case!)