To all you bosses - How much would you pay a day for a groundie?

button1803

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm confused

If that is take home

What does the main contractor charge per day

Must be £120 + £30 + profit/ overheads say £250 per painter per day

WOW

I don't know about arb or painters but over 10 years ago when i was subbing in to Anglian water the main contractor was charging over £40 per hour for me and i was getting £20 per hour, on the tools, so in answer to your question yes £250 per painter per day would'nt be out of the question when your working for big companies

Hi all I feel a good groundy is worth his weight in gold and for my pennies worth anywhere between 70 to 90 a day . Someone new to it then 60 to start with is fine but 60 for an old hand is to low . I do sub work for companys and work for 70 a day as a groundy self employed . But most of the time I am working for my self on my own private work so can double or tripple that per day but of course then the responsiblity and planning and if anything goes wrong it's all down to you and of course it's all your own tools and equipment. And everything else that goes with working for yourself .

Slightly off thread but it may help some of you if y want to earn a better wage for yourselves at entry levle . I have found that by doing a rope access ticket couple this With my chainsaw tickets . I have gained a steady stream of work getting no less then 120 a day . For this I get all the tools ,fule and climbing kit provided .the work is allways on an as and when basis but the jobs most of the time weeks at a time . But y will have to be prepaired to stay away from home for weeks at a time and it's hard physical Geo work but for me it's great as I get to do a vairety of work and it's fun.

All the best littletree:thumbup:

Littletree

I paid my groundy $20 per hour but always slapped on an hour or two over and above what he worked and a bit for petrol if he had to travel to my place (50kms). He was a year or two older than me so about 42 or 43 but worked like a trojan. I'd show him once how to do something and wouldn't need to show him again. No lunch breaks and if I went off to dump chip he'd be into the logging up or raking when I got back. Never had to ask him to do anything and we get on like a house on fire. Even on the crappest jobs we have a laugh, he's never late, never let me down. In my humble opinion guys like this are worth their weight in gold and also worth paying what you can afford to keep them. Imagine having to tell some guy what to do over and over for the same thing. Imagine wondering if he's going to show in the morning or if he's going to feed your rope through the chipper again or leave the combi spanner in the back of the truck to be filled and covered with chip. I have a mate that turns staff over on an exceedingly regualr basis because he expects them to work like they own the business and pays them like a sweat shop worker. He moans and complains that he can't get good staff but treats them like crap when he has them. All fair enough some of them might earn more than the climber or business owner but a good groundy also earns that business more in productivity by being damn good at what he does and not shirking or breaking everything in sight.

Location must be the biggest factor here. I live in Durham - it's one of the smallest uk cities (north-east England), has fairly high unemployment, and one of the colleges does arb courses. £60 a day for a groundsman is appreciated here. Obviously in London it wouldn't, and I bet the rubber loggers in Liberia don't earn that in a month. Most people are saying between £60 and £100, which isn't a huge disparity for accross the UK.

i think one thing that has to be taken into account is this fulltime employment or for a freelance groundy. £60 a day full time isnt that bad, you know you will have work, might have progression up the company, tickets paid for ppe provided but for a self employed person with tickets/experience its peanuts. if you are using freelance groundsman/climber you should expect to pay for it for the fact you can just say i dont need you next week all next month ect. we all have to make a living at the end of the day

Location must be the biggest factor here. I live in Durham - it's one of the smallest uk cities (north-east England), has fairly high unemployment, and one of the colleges does arb courses. £60 a day for a groundsman is appreciated here. Obviously in London it wouldn't, and I bet the rubber loggers in Liberia don't earn that in a month. Most people are saying between £60 and £100, which isn't a huge disparity for accross the UK.

The difference between 60 and a ton a day is 10,400 a year on a five day week, I see plenty of threads with people saying they won't lower there prices when it comes to quoting jobs, they would sooner lose work than do it for less. There's a company over here looking a climber with his own saw ppe climbing kit and transport and paying 7.20 a hour! That's just greed as far as am concerned.

I know business is business but money's made round to go round and if the company's doing well then the workers need a share of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not many round my area that will pay over 60 a day.Had as low as 30 offered and as high as 120 with my own gear on a two man job.In the end the average pay round my neck is 52quid a day and that's using our own PPE.Isnt worth doing anymore