Splitting Eucalyptus trunk

joe Shmoe

Hello,

I have access to a Eucalyptus trunk that has just been felled. Its approx 2ft radius. I wanted to chop it up into suitable peices for use as firewood, as I intend to fit a log-burning stove in the near future. How do I go about splitting the huge trunk into smaller pieces ?

Should I buy a wood-axe and split the trunk by hand, in which case, can someone recommend a suitable one, or perhaps I should hire a log-splitter (will I be able to get one large enough for a 2ft Trunk?)

Any advice on how this should be done would be great.

Cheers

Joe.

I had a fair bit of euca in a few weeks back Tried to split it the day after it was down right pain in the ass Left it for 2 weeks and it was easy as pie to split Had around the same size ringged it to 6-8inch wide then the split it in to nice chunks

As above. Don't wait until it's dry to split it as some Gum turns almost to concrete and is nigh on impossible to split by axe. Plus it takes ages for it to dry out in the rings. I took a couple of doozies down last year but stupidly left them in rings for about 6 months before splitting them. they're nowhere near seasoned but some of the stuff I did split almost straight away is now chugging away merrily on the fire.