With this ring...

Tom D

This is something I was playing around with on today's job, it was my first go with the pinto and inspired by drew b's setup I tried this. Unlike Drew's version my ring replaces the bottom half of the hitch as both legs and the rope pass through the eye.

After only one climb I like the hitch, not sure if the pinto is better than the HC though, I need to try the pinto with a regular hitch and try the ring hitch on the HC.

The tails on the fishermans are long because I was experimenting with different lengths.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1304086209754.jpg.0f5439b080850668efdcce6a02be841b.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1304086156058.jpg.6c0bc6655f0bf4dd52c13d78e55b5582.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sitback is minimal, it was not self tending today but it has only had 2 hours climbing on it and I was messing about with different lengths of leg. It's pretty loose and I think it would self tend given a bit more bedding in. A bigger ring would loosen it up further I reckon.

What the ring does that I like is: as slack is tended, the ring goes from vertical to horizontal, and pushes evenly on the wraps of the hitch. It works well, I will keep using it over the next few weeks and post any other thoughts.

Sent f rom my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I had mine set up like this Tom (temporarily using a small shackle instead of a ring), with the rope also going through the ring.

Drew reckons a bigger ring would slop around too much.

DMM make rings with internal diameters of 26,28,34 and 40mm (same as on the Treemotion), and I wasn't sure which to go for?

12mm Tachyon/Imori/Poison Ivy + 2 legs of 8mm AP = 28mm, but they don't necessarily sit in a line if you catch my drift?

Interesting!

It doesn't seem like the wheel of the Pinto has any use? The Pinto is used as a LOAD BEARING connecting device, only.

That obviously makes quite a difference compared to the traditional VT/HC setup, right?