tree work on watchdog/rouge traders BBC 1 now!

showoffsummer

I saw the show as well and his work is rubbish. However we seem to have plenty of companies around here both small and large that produce poor quality work, give bad advice but bid low! Personally i think low priced cowboys are more of a problem.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will always get these type of people working in every trade.

The average householder will only employ an arb 2 or 3 times in their life and sadly alot of people just look at price and not the quality and experience that some of us can offer.

Times are changing though !

He's not clever enough for that.

You don’t have to be clever to blag people and certainly not a mycologist.

I know a man who does the exact same thing, over the years quoting behind him he has identified coriolus, meripilus, ganoderma, and daldinia as Honey Fungus. He has also identified it on trees with absolutely no symptoms.

Oddly enough he saw a dead pop riddled with bootlaces and failed to identify HF.

a bloke i used to work with tells his customers allsorts and tries to blind them with science to get the job:thumbdown:

he has his level 2 rfs cert and uses this to "con" poeple into getting the work done told him it was wrong but he said at the end of the day it was part of his sales pitch!

they're all out there if you look hard enough but they just don't get caught like mr butcher!

sadly, this will happen in every trade, where there is tradesmen, their is rogues..simple,

i believe over time this will become less an less thou, i hope anyway!!

the world wide web is educating people, the general public have an idea of the value of everything, this in turn puts the contractors on a more level playing field.

you will always have bully tactics, thats life, nature has them too!!

if the customer goes with the first quote then its down to them if they get ripped off, plenty of information for those who want to look for it, in the meantime every neibour/relative should be looking out for the elderly who have no access the information :thumbup1:

for me....it wasnt the price that was out of order but the workmanship. Not saying i'd charge that, but its a free world and its down to the customer to accept or go elsewhere. whats unacceptable for me is the unfinished work, and the quality of what had been finished

I agree with that for sure, also the guy saying everything has honey fungus was out of order, if i see a fungus i dont know, then i will say i dont know what it is but i will investigate it before doing the work (now i can post a pic on here and pretty much get it explained without wasting a day or even 2, looking through books and websites). You cant blame the guy for wanting to make some cash but he is obviously out to rip people off and sell himself as something he is not! :thumbdown:

I dislike these "Rogue Traders" programmes. I think they confuse consumers more than empower them.

Take, for example, the first criticism they came up with about the guy. The customer asked "What tree is this?" and he said "I'm not sure without the leaves on" (or words to that effect), for which the presenter and his oh-so-funny sidekick ridiculed him: "Hang on - arn't you supposed to be a tree surgeon?" I only caught a glimpse of the tree, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to take one glance at it in its winter state and proclaim Salix caprea - this does not mean I'm a rogue trader or unfit to work on the tree. People watching this programme might pick up on this and think "ok, a bona fide tree surgeon won't say 'I don't know' when asked about a tree". Better to bullshit "tree of heaven" than truthfully admit one's limitations if you go by that rule.

Imagine bringing your mum to work with you ! what was he thinking?

What's so wrong with that? I was shocked at the size of logs his missus was hauling around in her trainers, but I think you may be being a little snobbish about the fact she was there. Family businesses are the cornerstone of our ecomony. I often bring my girlfriend to work. I don't give her a 200T and tell her to get on with it, but what's wrong with her being around to chat with the customer and unclip the odd branch I send down if she's wearing PPE, and covered by my EL?