Householder attempts felling conifer

veners

lol. i dropped a load of chips of the other day at blokes house.

10 80ft white populars behind house...he asked me to take a look...and then asked for tips on how to take out 40ft from the heads! ..told him not to do it...and explained how dangerous tree work is.

him and his neighbours are going to tackle it though...

I can see why people try to do it themselves. money for most familys is really tight and tree surgery is expensive , so they give it ago it can look. a simple job for people without any clue untill they start cutting .

I think as time goes on we will see more of it .

Littletree

Maybe we should get all these DIY heroes to write thier experiences down in a little handbook, to pass on to those that might try themselves, then they can read the collective experience of those that tried and failed, or worse tried and died.

WISE up peoples, treework is a skilled business, it costs money because it is a skilled business that requires training and expensive tools to do it SAFELY!

DIY tree work is a getting out of your depth thing.

Trees in gardens, well for the householder it’s just an extension of the gardening thing and gardening isn’t rocket science is it? We all have a mate down the pub who knows someone who “did” a tree in their garden, how hard can it be?

It’s not until they have passed the point of no return that they realise this hill they were climbing is actually a mountain and this might not be as easy as they thought.

This is also the point where the “macho” factor kicks in. It’s hard to back away from what looked like a bit of manual labour with your family and a few mates you roped in to help (no pun) looking on.