local wildlife (fur,feathers and beasties)

Adam Bourne

16 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Do you think he is imprinted on you and might have problems in the wild?

Part of the issue is that the parents would normally have taught him/her to hunt and after they fledge the nest the parents still bring them food for a few weeks and then teach them to hunt. So she/he won't have that grounding. So I will see what to do about that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AJStrees said:

Part of the issue is that the parents would normally have taught him/her to hunt and after they fledge the nest the parents still bring them food for a few weeks and then teach them to hunt. So she/he won't have that grounding. So I will see what to do about that. 

That's what I was meaning when I posted earlier saying he might be " yours " for ever .

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

Be wary because there are issues in "owning" one taken from the wild. The daughter of one of my clients was involved in sampling DNA of captive raptors to prove if they were from wild stock.

3 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Be wary because there are issues in "owning" one taken from the wild. The daughter of one of my clients was involved in sampling DNA of captive raptors to prove if they were from wild stock.

Meaning what in layman terms? 

3 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

She was expert witness in prosecutions of people who had taken eggs from the wild and then claimed they were offspring of legally held parents.

I see what you mean. Yes, definitely don't steal eggs or disturb nests and don't trap wild birds. That's not good. 

6 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

I see what you mean. Yes, definitely don't steal eggs or disturb nests and don't trap wild birds. That's not good. 

Pls be careful AJS - sadly there are far too many 'do-gooders' around who just don't get the fact she would almost certainly be dead by now if you hadn't helped.  Below are a few snaps of ours from last year - her first ever flight, first 'kill' and then sat up in the hazel whist she got her bearings, then away.  we had fed her on 'local produce' only for 4 weeks - mice/voles, a sparrow, beetles, grasshoppers and other assorted delicacies - just so she new what to look for !  and never directly from our hand - through the bars or just put in the bottom of the cage.

IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

IMG_4923.JPG

IMG_4975.JPG

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, ABtrees said:

Pls be careful AJS - sadly there are far too many 'do-gooders' around who just don't get the fact she would almost certainly be dead by now if you hadn't helped. 

Yes exactly that, I doubt any here think other than you both did good in rescuing the birds.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AJStrees said:

1 hour ago, AJStrees said:

Yep never seen one until today. emoji106.png

That first sighting is spectacular.  Here's a variation though - the Lesser PE - which for me is even more beautiful.  Distinguished primarily by the 2 eyespots on the top wing as well as the lower.  Same butterfly in both pics by the way !

The one I would really like to see is the Poplar Admiral - absolutely stunning

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4244.JPG

• Like 3