Freelance Climber Needed

chrismoon

spot on:001_smile:

and any climber worth his salt aint going to risk his rep over a panel of fence thats worth 25quid

I agree with that! regardless of who has insurance, any freelance climber would fix the fence if he knows he was reckless, in order to continue gettign work.

Of course if the groundie lowered/swung something into the fence then you have to argue it out.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion, for what is worth, is that all freelance climbers should have their own insurance. I recently had a guy working with me who's attitude to insurance was one i did not share. He seemed to think that my insurance was there as a back up for his incompetence. It's difficult to gauge a climbers ability until they're doing the job, by which time it could be to late! Thankfully, in my instance, there was no damage caused but this was purely more luck than judgement on his part! I occassionaly freelance and always state that i am insured. If i am subbing or freelancing i feel better knowing that i have my own policy, should the worst happen. If someone is self employed then why would they not be insured?

Best of luck finding someone Chris!

Blimey, i try expalining why he was asking about them having there own PL because he asked them to have so which, with a guess from me would mean he doesn't have EL which would require any addditional contaractors to have their own PL.

The fence panel was my way of discribing the climber to have a better mentality on site rather than 'his insurance should cover it' attitude. I've seen climbers who have the i can't be bothered to lower it might fit attitude and think making them have their own insurance is a great idea. If something unseen goes wrong then fair play but if they drop a limb they know the should of rigged off then thats just being lazy at the cost of the guy thats employing thems reputation.

So am i right in my uderstanding???

Public Liability covers you for damages to property and people.

Professional Indemnity covers you for negligence from recommendations/advice.

Employees Liability covers people employed from negligece/injury from failure on the employers side.

I know it reads badly but i can't think how to word it better as i've had a really rubbish day, so apologies if it comes across as me being a bit blunt.

You could also add personal accident cover to your list Ian, theoreticaly if a hired in climberhad PL cover and the main contractor also had PL cover in the event of the climber being injured who pays the compensation?

If you are a LTD company then your EL cover covers everyone including the director. If you are a sole treder with EL Cover then only the employees are covered by the EL and the owner must take out his own PA cover (UNLESS AGREED WITH YOUR INSURER).

A sole trader climber with his own PL still ought to have PA cover for himself unless he only works for propper businesses with their own EL cover.

I don't know why there seem to be so many "companies" out there with no EL cover its not really that expensive. Especially as your insurer will take into account that you may only occasionally hire people in.

Blimey, i try expalining why he was asking about them having there own PL because he asked them to have so which, with a guess from me would mean he doesn't have EL which would require any addditional contaractors to have their own PL.

The fence panel was my way of discribing the climber to have a better mentality on site rather than 'his insurance should cover it' attitude. I've seen climbers who have the i can't be bothered to lower it might fit attitude and think making them have their own insurance is a great idea. If something unseen goes wrong then fair play but if they drop a limb they know the should of rigged off then thats just being lazy at the cost of the guy thats employing thems reputation.

So am i right in my uderstanding???

Public Liability covers you for damages to property and people.

Professional Indemnity covers you for negligence from recommendations/advice.

Employees Liability covers people employed from negligece/injury from failure on the employers side.

I know it reads badly but i can't think how to word it better as i've had a really rubbish day, so apologies if it comes across as me being a bit blunt.

Sounds about right!:lol:

My opinion, for what is worth, is that all freelance climbers should have their own insurance. I recently had a guy working with me who's attitude to insurance was one i did not share. He seemed to think that my insurance was there as a back up for his incompetence. It's difficult to gauge a climbers ability until they're doing the job, by which time it could be to late! Thankfully, in my instance, there was no damage caused but this was purely more luck than judgement on his part! I occassionaly freelance and always state that i am insured. If i am subbing or freelancing i feel better knowing that i have my own policy, should the worst happen. If someone is self employed then why would they not be insured?

Best of luck finding someone Chris!

It is!!!!!

That why you muct choose your staff and subbies with care!!!!

It is!!!!!

That why you muct choose your staff and subbies with care!!!!

Well said, and if during the first hour you think he is not safe then you sack him there and then, or sort it out, its called management.

Am i right in thinking then that if both the contractor and the free lanceclimber (working on the same job) had insurance, whoever caused the accident it would always come down to the contractors insurance? So the freelance climbers insurance is pointless until he takes a job on himself (possibly employing others)?

Well said, and if during the first hour you think he is not safe then you sack him there and then, or sort it out, its called management.

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

Incidentally soon as we've derailed. Someone explained it to me that you would need EL to employ a subbie climber but then if they broke something you could use there public liability providing that was all agreed upon in advance. It is black and white in my mind but it's amazing how you can mix the colours to make it grey if you want!!