Breakaway lanyards

Steve Bullman

no, the beech coming out if leaning far too much and is too heavy. the beech im trying in to, as well as being skinny is also looking a bit sparse. theres every chance i might change my mind once ive ascended it to anchor in.....unlikely, but a chance all the same

Is the beech your removing stone dead?

if so.....has it been dead for a long time?

or is there a major structural defect/weakness somewhere? Merip?

What are the targets underneath? property? underplantings?

Why the need for rigging?

will they release under load?

To be honest i dont know as ive never tried it. Ive tried the one ive got on small loads and seems to open ok. I suppose if your on your lanyard though then the load wouldn't be huge? Could dipp forward a tad and then release it?

Is the beech your removing stone dead?

if so.....has it been dead for a long time?

or is there a major structural defect/weakness somewhere? Merip?

What are the targets underneath? property? underplantings?

Why the need for rigging?

No its very much alive but with a significant lean on. Its been condemned (rightly or wrongly) in a tree report based on a small amount of decay in one of the buttresses. It is in the main parade area at a race course and leaning towards a building. i'd say the drop line extends to about where the building starts. However the angles are such that you wont be getting far enough out the limbs to do it without rigging.

It really is a job to describe, although i would say ive been doing this a few years now and this is the first tree thats made me do any real thinking for quite some time.

will they release under load?

They do release under load - but I'd recommend that you connect with a biner to the snaplinks' gate. I've found that a tape can sometimes snag on the end of the gate (where the pin locates). A biner or anchor ring would allow it to slide off.

The problem sounds like your main anchor will be pretty weak anyway, so your breakaway would have to be really weak.

Could you not fell it away from the building with a big winch and persuade the customer to move targets/accept collateral damage? (I imagine you have looked at this)