38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go to a gym

• I work on my strength and increase fittnest
    • Im naturally strong ,dont need to.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing thats been overlooked here is the fact that yes we do get a good workout during the day, but its not a balanced workout. Certain muscle groups wll work exceptionally hard for short periods, others will get relatively little workout. We all favour one arm or the other for lifting logs, hauling a big saw up, pulling a rope thru or what have you. Just a thought, but then I just cant be arsed these days with all that extra effort anyway.

yeah as well as tree work ..i train 4 days a week.

the key is low reps..between 2 and 5 . with 2 to 5 minutes rest between sets and minimum 2 days rest and max 5 days.

It has worked for me ..my body feels like a feather up trees and i am coming on 13 stone.

If you are climbing hard..then you need rest also..and high carb /protien diet.

Squats are best for legs..they also boost testostorone levels ...meaning more log lifting strength.

I am not a big fan of the gym dont like that fact to have to pay for exercise, next to my house is a great running track usually full of drop dead gorgeous girls so I normaly do 2 11km runs a week, 1 during the week normaly after a lighter days work and 1 on a weekend sat or sun and then its just sit ups and push ups at home and throw in a odd game of football or cricket for fun.

I dont have a the big upper body strength but its all about endurance for me. I would rather climb and prune 10 trees a day then remove 1 big monster and lugg around a 66 while climbing.

One thing thats been overlooked here is the fact that yes we do get a good workout during the day, but its not a balanced workout. Certain muscle groups wll work exceptionally hard for short periods, others will get relatively little workout. We all favour one arm or the other for lifting logs, hauling a big saw up, pulling a rope thru or what have you.

This is what I was thinking while reading through the thread (I've been "indisposed" for a bit so have loads of catching up to do!). Tree work can never be equal to gym work; our work is excellent for not putting on fat, but for building up durable, long, flexible muscle tissue it's rubbish. Most of us are probably not thinking in ergonomic terms every minute of the day either. What you have to remember is that your body has to be strong enough to cope with strain that is much heavier than your hardest work, if that makes sense. Otherwise you will constantly work your body to its limit which will inevitably lead to damage/injury/pain. I think it's foolish to be in this industry and not work out in one form or another. Yes, we've all met the industry elders who managed without the gym, but just look at them, they're bodies are spent at 35-ish, ready for retirement (I'm generalising slightly here, obviously). If you want to enjoy your work long-term you need to look after your body.

I myself prefer the gym because it's a controlled environment and for me it's easier to measure my progress in such a place. Before I started going to the gym, about 13 years ago, I used to think that I wouldn't have the energy after work to go at all, but I quickly found out that the workout will give you more energy, so that you can actually do something in the evenings, instead of just collapsing on the couch, as I normally did coming home from work.

I wouldn't say cycling is good allround exercise as it mostly involves abs, legs and heart, but not shoulders/upper body which is so important to a tree worker. But in combination with some free weights or cable machine it would work fine. Swimming is quite good except if you've got neck or knee problems (or, like me, get spots from the chlorine...!)