Female tree surgeons

Brad_28

48 minutes ago, Samantha48 said:

That’s a really positive spin and you have just made me realise my weight could be an advantage with thinner trees so I will use that on my first job interview Thankyou. I hope you do find the photographs because it would be nice to see them. Thankyou David ? 

When I served my time as a mechanic there was a lass going to tech at the same time as us. We all worked together as a team and more importantly we could all bring something different to the table. We where all about the same competency-wise.  Big lads can do the heavier lifting if needed, but being quite a petite lass she could get her hands into the most difficult of places in an engine bay that the lads simply could not. Its all about team work and using and not detracting from our strengths. 

We're seeing far more ladies off-shore here in Norway, and not just the cushie jobs but the 12-16 hours in the driving rain and snow jobs head to toe in Oil Based -mud on the Drill Floor. I look forward to working with the girls in our crew and they just get on with it and generally put in way and above most of what the lads do. 

Plus having a cute girl on the crew you have no issues getting lifts with the crane. :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

When I served my time as a mechanic there was a lass going to tech at the same time as us. We all worked together as a team and more importantly we could all bring something different to the table. We where all about the same competency-wise.  Big lads can do the heavier lifting if needed, but being quite a petite lass she could get her hands into the most difficult of places in an engine bay that the lads simply could not. Its all about team work and using and not detracting from our strengths. 

We're seeing far more ladies off-shore here in Norway, and not just the cushie jobs but the 12-16 hours in the driving rain and snow jobs head to toe in Oil Based -mud on the Drill Floor. I look forward to working with the girls in our crew and they just get on with it and generally put in way and above most of what the lads do. 

Plus having a cute girl on the crew you have no issues getting lifts with the crane. :D 

Wow your working I Norway ? how lucky are you !! When I left school I was not allowed to join the regular Army until I came of age so I trained to be a mechanic for Two years and I loved it. You never knew what you were going to be doing each day and we were always allowed to have the radio on too ? The banter was uplifting and I learned so so much ?? There was no sexism at all and my boss bought me the most beautiful gold necklace as a leaving present which I still have. My only complaint was I made gallons of tea but I had the last laugh because I always got the cream at the top of the milk ?????

Edited by Samantha48
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Samantha48 said:

Awww that’s a really kind you took the time to write this post and on behalf of women in Arb Thankyou ?? I hope that Joanne sees this at some point because as women we are so used to feeling like the underdog and feeling that we are not good enough. I  have found that there are good hard working men and also lazy selfish men working in the industry. I have a few friends in the industry and they chat about the job so I listen because I’m eager to learn from them. I just want to have a job outdoors that involves lots of exercise and a sense of achievement. I am NOT an indoor girl and I have worked outdoors since I left school. I know I am not as strong as a man but I can make up for that in other ways. Give us girls a chance please ? the same chance you would give a new male tree surgeon.

In my book every one gets a fair chance, if they dont make it, they dont make it, as i have said before on arbtalk, there is a lot of guys out there in the tree game who think they are the B,s N E,s but in real world they are about as much use as a windsreen wiper on a submarine, I am based about 3 mile from Myerscough collage and take a few lads on from there on a earn while U learn bassis, they come and they go and some just have the wrong attitude from the off, One lad of late came and stuck with us for for longer than any of the others have, He now has set his own buisness up and doing ok, but he has done it on his own back no loans or gifts off mummy n daddy but he will work, he rings me now and then and asks for addvise which i dont mind as he is the one who i dont mind helping, he is good to work with and gets on with it, Now others i know who was on the same collage course went and got jobs with arb firms and after a couple of months moved on to the next one and so on, what they where looking for i dont know, a cushy number i suppose but does that exsist in this industry ? a few i know are now doing diffrent things, like one is driving a parcell van, and another works in Mcdonalds which is where he should of gone at the start before going to collage, 

• Like 3