Mairs tail

Derek Trimblits

I was contacted by a customer at the back end of last year.

The garden is has been neglected for years and they wanted the area landscaped, including grass, paved and vegetable growing areas.

Straightforward enough I thought, but when I looked at the job the area was completely smothered in Mairs tail!

I managed to get one spray in (with barbarian glypho 360). I bruised the plants prior to spraying.

Should I carry on with this process or am i pissing in the wind?

any advice on removal of this weed greatly accepted.

I was contacted by a customer at the back end of last year.

The garden is has been neglected for years and they wanted the area landscaped, including grass, paved and vegetable growing areas.

Straightforward enough I thought, but when I looked at the job the area was completely smothered in Mairs tail!

I managed to get one spray in (with barbarian glypho 360). I bruised the plants prior to spraying.

Should I carry on with this process or am i pissing in the wind?

any advice on removal of this weed greatly accepted.

It is a difficult weed to kill but skeep doing what your doing, It may be worth using something with 2-4-d in it, like Grazon 90 not sure if you can get that in the UK but there's bound to be a similar product if not. If its possible get the soil dug over to disturb dormant roots of the plant allow them to shoot and then spray it again. Good luck:thumbup1:

Glyphosate is very innefective at kiiling marestail, your better off with something like Timbrel. Its not cheap at £50 per litre but its very effective. Another good product is Verdone, this is a domestic selective herbicide for use on lawns. It costs around £10 a litre in B&Q, although you will have to use a concentrated dose and probably 2 to 3 treatments. Basically anything with the active ingredient MCPA will work but avoid glyphosate based herbicides.

• 3 months later...

You are looking for a product that has the active ingredient glufosinate - ammonium. Trade brand names include Basta, Finale (although it weaker at 120g/l) Harvest, Kaspar or Kibosh there is also another one called Kurtail which you can get from Progreen online.

There are a few videos on the Progreen website that show the products action.