Covering yourself

Had an issue today when removing a sycamore.

The job was being paid for by the next garden on -not the actual tree owner.

I visited both parties a few weeks ago, and all were in agreement to take it down.

Last Friday I called round and left my card saying I would do the agreed job on Monday and if they had any queries to call.

I was halfway through the job today when the husband ( who I had not previously spoken to) came home and went crazy saying he had not given permission.

I should have written out a contract for both the tree owner and the neighbour and got them to sign.

paying for the job. What do you guys do to cover for this eventuality.

What do you guys do to cover for this eventuality. Is there a simple generic template I could "borrow"?

Cheers for your time.

Did you write out a quote? And if so who to?

There are no templates for this sort of thing, you need to read the situation and contact those involved and spell it out to them in writing or e mail and get written acceptance (or e mail) especially from whoever is paying and from whoever owns the tree.

Oh boy, what a situation!! What was the outcome - half a tree left in place and no money, and ear bashing from tree owner.... or tree down, got paid by neighbour and a black eye from tree owner?!

Seriously though, i have wondered about these types of misunderstandings before.

Don't have any preformas for this though i'm affraid. But you have inspired me to perhaps come up with a pre works contract or agreement sheet!

Hope you got it sorted

I always do written quotes for jobs that are a days work or more. Its a pain in the arse to do but makes it easier in the long run. you can refer customer to quote if they get funny or try it on (as is quite common). Had a bloke accuse me of stealing his ash logs once so got him to read back the quote to me over the phone- he quickly apologised. 'removal of all wood from site'.

Be worth billing the person who wanted the tree down for the time you spent doing half the tree. A builder or plumber wouldn't think twice about doing it.

The folk that will go bonkers, will go bonkers even if they signed it in their own blood.:sneaky2: They are the noisy child who gets what they want by screaming and shouting, it ALWAYS comes down to money and control.

You did well and got a good result BUT you must now accept the outcome and bury it, never dwell on it or get resentfull.:thumbdown:

Its just another tail for old wise grand pappy to tell the kids in years to come.:laugh1: