Advice on top handle saws

lorenz

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here in my part Spain there are quit a lot of olive & almond trees and also lots of accidents with local falling out of trees with chainsaws! if you really need to prune with a chainsaw use a small back handled chainsaw but not a stepladder use a short extension, tie it on to the tree & use a harness - work from the ladder & be very careful. I must add that without training or experience this is very risky - try it with hand tools if you can ,buy a decent pole saw (silky for example) loppers ect.

Thanks for these comments.

I've thought of a pole saw but none of the locals use them & I've spoken to ex pats who live there & they have never seen them in use (the grove is in Messinia in the Pelopponese).

In general the branches I'd be pruning wouldn't be thicker than 6 inches & would usually be closer to 2 but as one post says; olive wood is very hard. At the moment we're generally using hand saws but on the last harvest we had help from a mate who brought his TH saw & it made life a lot easier.

PS. The only way we managed to afford the grove was by making savings in avery other part of our life!

Top handled saws are only extremely dangerous in the UK. They are fine anywhere else in the world! Nothing is dangerous in greece apart from sunstroke! Last time I was there some Albanians were cutting conifer trees out of the groves below our villa, and generall makign a lot of noise while I was trying to sleep by the pool. No ppe, just shorts and flip flops, no worries! They worked hard all day and couldn't believe it when I offered them water and a beer at the end of the day!

People who shouldn't be using machinery are dangerous.

Don't buy any top handled chainsaw, you'll shred your left forearm. Step ladders are also dangerous, you'll break your ankle a mile from the house.

Buy a petrol pole saw and don't buy it here as you can't take petrol powered tools on aircraft, even if they are still in the manufacturers box.

Buy a good brand in Greece from a local dealer as he'll stock spares and can deal with repairs.

DON'T go cheap. Even with occasional use it will fall apart, be overly heavy, un-ergonomical to use and have terrible vibration.

Please use ear and eye protection.

Don't buy any top handled chainsaw, you'll shred your left forearm. Step ladders are also dangerous, you'll break your ankle a mile from the house.

Buy a petrol pole saw and don't buy it here as you can't take petrol powered tools on aircraft, even if they are still in the manufacturers box.

Buy a good brand in Greece from a local dealer as he'll stock spares and can deal with repairs.

DON'T go cheap. Even with occasional use it will fall apart, be overly heavy, un-ergonomical to use and have terrible vibration.

Please use ear and eye protection.

I've never had a problem with taking Saws on Aircraft,Done it a few times from the UK now.Only once was the Saw new,as long as the Tanks are empty and clean they never had a problem with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still looking and apppreciate all the advice. Does anybody have an opinion on the Stihl 009. I've read reviews that say it's great & others that say it has no power.

For the record, we have approximately 75 trees which are up to 5 metres tall. The majority of the pruning work is on the inner branches - ie to open the tree into a "wineglass" shape. I have a saw for cutting firewood so this is only for the pruning work.