poacher / gamekeeper status

Bolt

So, are you a poacher or a gamekeeper?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. So, are you a poacher or a gamekeeper?

• Poacher turned gamekeeper
    • Gamekeeper turned poacher
    • Always been a poacher
    • Always been a gamekeeper

To clarify..

I once was a "gamekeeper" (in this concept, I worked for a leading charity involved with the conservation of otters. We did the whole eco thing, planting trees, improving habitat, a groundbreaking captive breeding programme, education - you get the picture. Militant "anti". anti foxhunting, anti bloodspoorts, anti cutting-down-trees and pro save-the-whale).

Then I got a chainsaw "ticket" and it turned my head.

since then I have gone the other way.

I have got every qualification for chainsawing I can get. I work for the utilities doing unspeakable things to defenceless trees and I enjoy it.

I have had shotguns and firearms, removed trees for money, driven vehicles with stupidly large engines, trained countless others to do the same and, as far as the list of (allegidly) unethical things goes, I am now (as far as this poll is concerned) a "poacher".

What, do you think you are?

Edited by Bolt

To clarify..

I once was a "gamekeeper" (in this concept, I worked for a leading charity involved with the conservation of otters. We did the whole eco thing, planting trees, improving habitat, a groundbreaking captive breeding programme, education - you get the picture. Militant "anti". anti foxhunting, anti bloodspoorts, anti cutting-down-trees and pro save-the-whale).

Then I got a chainsaw "ticket" and it turned my head.

since then I have gone the other way.

I have got every qualification for chainsawing I can get. I work for the utilities doing unspeakable things to defenceless trees and I enjoy it.

I have had shotguns and firearms, removed trees for money, driven vehicles with stupidly large engines, trained countless others to do the same (and on the list of (allegidly) unethical things goes). I am now (as far as this poll is concerned) a "poacher".

What, do you think you are?

Unusal to be gamekeeper turned poacher its normaly the other way round, but for your poll i would be more a poacher than anything else.

Im only a hobby underkeeper. I help out on a 1500 acre shooting farm. Only put down 3500 birds each year. In our batch last year we had 150 Reeves x common. Was a bonus but also a challenge for the guns not to shoot them. Put down 250 Melanistics last year too. Got some pen repair to do on sunday. Had a monster beech fall over. Perfectly healthy tree in the summer no fruiting bodies. Just failed on its own accord. Taken out about 150 metre of new fencing.

I grew up a poacher, but as I have got older and wiser, have turned to becoming a sort of gamekeeper. Don't get me wrong, I am not against killing things, and love my meat, God forbid I could ever be a veggie, and I think if you have a respect for your quarry, or trees, whatever, you will do your best for them in the long run. I realise that things have to be managed, killing some, sometimes for the better of the species as a whole.

Since becoming involved with this forum for example, I look at deadwood in a new light. Where once I only saw firewood, I now see habitat for all sorts of invertebrates, birds, bats, etc. and do my very best to leave it as such.

A classic example is the otter, it was the otter hunters who first noticed their declining numbers, simply by noting that they just wer'nt finding them in the numbers they had previously. They then introduced a voluntary ban on hunting them, before they were made a protected species by a statute of law.

I think that as long as you look to the future and realise that you should try and leave for the next generation the same things you have enjoyed, you are on the right track, we are merely custodians, and if only we can put back as much as we take out, it's about the best we can do.

Not sure if that sounds like a load of bollocks, but I know what I mean :001_smile:

I grew up a poacher, but as I have got older and wiser, have turned to becoming a sort of gamekeeper. Don't get me wrong, I am not against killing things, and love my meat, God forbid I could ever be a veggie, and I think if you have a respect for your quarry, or trees, whatever, you will do your best for them in the long run. I realise that things have to be managed, killing some, sometimes for the better of the species as a whole.

Since becoming involved with this forum for example, I look at deadwood in a new light. Where once I only saw firewood, I now see habitat for all sorts of invertebrates, birds, bats, etc. and do my very best to leave it as such.

A classic example is the otter, it was the otter hunters who first noticed their declining numbers, simply by noting that they just wer'nt finding them in the numbers they had previously. They then introduced a voluntary ban on hunting them, before they were made a protected species by a statute of law.

I think that as long as you look to the future and realise that you should try and leave for the next generation the same things you have enjoyed, you are on the right track, we are merely custodians, and if only we can put back as much as we take out, it's about the best we can do.

Not sure if that sounds like a load of bollocks, but I know what I mean :001_smile:

Spot on:thumbup1: