No Notch = No Direction

Mani

Nice pic Rupe, but as this appears to be a picking thread, I don't like the peg below you.

But then, I HATE PEGS!!!!!

Dont you know Dave? Rupe knew he'd be about ready to give his feet a rest by the time he gets down to that peg:001_cool:

I just watched the video and there's a few things I didn't like about it i.e. that puny little saw, how he actually tied off the section and it would've taken only a couple of seconds to convert that into a notch as its quite clear that section did come off side ways (luckily the safer side) which is 'getting away with it' at best!

But lets just assume he was a little smarter than I give him credit for and in fact, it went exacly how he'd planned i.e. He purposely didn't use a notch to avoid the catapult effect on a springy pole like that one, his back-cut sloped up to his left so it would fall favourably away from him and his climb line. Who knows for sure? I just hope that a novice doesn't see all his gear, assume he's a pro and try to mimic the same technique without fully understanding the risks, perhaps on something bigger....with a slight lean-back:scared1:

I'd only ever step-cut in a situation like that if it were something I could push off myself and without the risk of what happens in the vid, short fat ones....you know, or with a favourable lean.

If it'd been me, and there was room, honestly I'd have wide-notched that whole trunk at about half way with a real strong hinge and have the guys pull it off after I'd swung back into that other tree; the top would then hit the floor before engaging the rigging thus avoiding any overload....the rigging would simply be to stop the section falling over....just a thought!

Anyway, I'm away for a couple of weeks now so take care all. One of the more comical debates for sure, glad not to be in the thick of it though.

Lol what a funny thread with all the dissagreement!

have a good holiday reg,where you off to?

got a late deal to Fuertre (canaries). 5*, half board, a good deal. We have to be at a wedding this afternoon in yorkshire also, but Ive just been outside helping a trucker who'd had a blowout. My hands are now covered in oil and I'm supposed to be wearing a white shirt! Better get scrubbing:ohmy:

i think some your comments Mani, are pretty insultive, criticizing other members abililty's when you dont know them,i'd love to put you in front of the more experienced on the site and see how you fair against them.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but when you start getting personal to other members, i think its too far. :thumbdown:

Dont you know Dave? Rupe knew he'd be about ready to give his feet a rest by the time he gets down to that peg:001_cool:

I just watched the video and there's a few things I didn't like about it i.e. that puny little saw, how he actually tied off the section and it would've taken only a couple of seconds to convert that into a notch as its quite clear that section did come off side ways (luckily the safer side) which is 'getting away with it' at best!

But lets just assume he was a little smarter than I give him credit for and in fact, it went exacly how he'd planned i.e. He purposely didn't use a notch to avoid the catapult effect on a springy pole like that one, his back-cut sloped up to his left so it would fall favourably away from him and his climb line. Who knows for sure? I just hope that a novice doesn't see all his gear, assume he's a pro and try to mimic the same technique without fully understanding the risks, perhaps on something bigger....with a slight lean-back:scared1:

I'd only ever step-cut in a situation like that if it were something I could push off myself and without the risk of what happens in the vid, short fat ones....you know, or with a favourable lean.

If it'd been me, and there was room, honestly I'd have wide-notched that whole trunk at about half way with a real strong hinge and have the guys pull it off after I'd swung back into that other tree; the top would then hit the floor before engaging the rigging thus avoiding any overload....the rigging would simply be to stop the section falling over....just a thought!

Anyway, I'm away for a couple of weeks now so take care all. One of the more comical debates for sure, glad not to be in the thick of it though.

very good post.

As for this-

4. No attacks, insults, or flames** - be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or whatever. This is VERY important. If you have a problem with somebody, do not flame them on our website

I didn't 'flame' anyone, that guy Ed and Pete and others were treating my post like it was a joke. Their flippant attitude towards a genuine concern was at best - boring, and I dont like having to converse with boring people. So I stood up for my side of the argument, whats wrong with that?

lots of rhetoric in this thread here about how some of the members here are so experienced in tree surgery they could show me a thing or two, well from what I've seen here I doubt it. trying to tell me that a deep step cut is preferable to a directional notch is not filling me with anticipation of the learning that these people can teach me.

anyone seen treebuzz, its very good and the people there seem well interested in discussing tree surgery.

I hope that the video has helped some people to realise the impotance of a directional notch in that part of a rigging operation.