improvised chainsaw trousers

danroker1987

And isnt it just insulting the way stihl magnanimously include ONE 3" square repair patch with their trous.....within no time at all ther is little or nothing left to sew that to anyway- more like a fishermans net:thumbdown:

:thumbup::001_rolleyes:

i have saved all the patches up tommer, i nearly have anough to sew a whole leg together!!!!!patchwork ballistics:thumbup:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must admit my keks last a little longer since I've started refusing to reduce Hawthorns!

Just had a look at the price of Stretch Air NON PROTECTIVE climbing trousers - basically same as the type C's but with no ballistic inners. £160!!!!!!!!! Has the world gone mad! That's that idea FUBAR'd then....

Edited by Mark Bolam
sp

i would imagine a pair of chainsaw trousers gains its ce certification based on the complete unit as it were.....so id say what you are doing is probably(most certainly) a no no. im sure one of the suppliers will pipe up before long though

ps i havent done it yet:thumbup:

this is a very technical area you are getting into which would take foreever to explain. The internal chainsaw protection is affected by all the stiching that is attached to it. If you place a simple 5mm width of stitching at the top this can be enough to stop the fibres releasing allowing a saw to cut through. Same on any of the seams. You may think this is silly but we have seen enough chainsaw tests on trousers to understand what effects stitching has on the protection material. CE is a very technical document to ensure what you are wearing is safe. It can take over two years to design and produce chainsaw trousers due to the testing and re-testing.

IME most ballistic nylon inserts are attached at onl a few pionts, I would not think it too hard (ive cut them out of old trousers) to put them back in the same way.

If only from a sustainable point of view this area needs addressing, but were also being very obviously ripped off on trousers at it would not take much to up their wear characteristics.

stretch airs are the worst, they have claimed for the last three years that thier zips are high quality, and yet they break within weeks of ourchase and my dry cleaner puts in a new one for 7 quid that lasts the life of the trousers.

I agree that the general build quality of Chainsaw Trousers is lacking.

The outer Fabric on Chainsaw protective Chaps worn in NZ and the States does last for years.Also is is possibe to totally recover Chaps as long as the outer is attached at the same points as the originals.