Not the best way to promote yourself!

Stevie Mac

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In northern irelands 2010 edition of yellow pages there were 7 tree surgeons ads all using the same stock photo of what appeared to be some American guy wearing a tank top cutting some log with a big stihl saw. some of the photos were in colour, some in black and white and one was reversed but all were the exact same photo. You would think YP would go to the effort of aquiring a few more stock photos considering what they charge for an ad!!

I think you will find you are talking bollocks.

Totally agree when we first started it was where most of our work came from, now it feels a bit of a waste of time but if the other work dried up we'd depend on it. Our advert in there gets smaller but it's still in there. The biggest long serving firm around our parts probably has the smallest ad in there but he's still there and certainly not a cowboy

and neither are we everybody has to start somewhere:)

Yellow Pages is the advertising domian of the gypos. They don't get recommendations so they have to advertise.

If you made these sort of comments about blacks, asians or any other ethnic minority you would be up in court, you want to be ashamed of your self.

Well said mate:) I just watched a chubby brown DVD (bear with me) and googled him to find his age and found a forum where people were slanging him for being racist but at the same time calling him a typical northerner and he's the way he is because of his environment! I'd call that racist too. Off topic I know but can't believe that comment how does someone starting out get work from word of mouth if they've just started? Doesn't make the "gypos"

Maybe the general public think that the less ppe, the more experienced the operator? I mean, he must be really good cos he doesnt need all that gear on just to cut off a branch/ he must be a really good climber cos he doesnt even need all that rope and clobber to slow him down! I've actually heard these comments when subbing out over the years, in ref to other climbers.

Yellow Pages is the advertising domian of the gypos. They don't get recommendations so they have to advertise.

If you made these sort of comments about blacks, asians or any other ethnic minority you would be up in court, you want to be ashamed of your self.

Lets not all start waving around the PC card. The first part of his statement is wrong, the second part is not so wrong. Now i'm friends with an ex-traveller who is a decent bloke and will do a fine job, but the vast majority of 'door knockers' will rip you off and leave your tree looking like crap. If they didn't then they wouldn;t have to knock on doors for their work!