Birds nesting

hazzygawa

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the birds are starting to nest, what are the laws on taking conifers down, hedge trimming and tree work in general? Can we not work on a tree cuz there is a nest there?

Cheers h

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 Section 1 Protection of wild birds, their nests and eggs details the requirement and therefore a law is applied and a fine or imprisonment is the result of not adhering to it. Of course there are exceptions and these need to be understood too. Without me rambling and you falling asleep you can have a nosey at Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 In there it tells you in detail. However, when I carry out woodland management on behalf of the Wildlife Trust and I need to fell or remove parts of a tree in the nesting season I carry out a full and thorough survey. Using bino's, sitting and waiting (dawn, day and dusk - species dependant) and then making a decision based on the lack of evidence of habitat and sightings. Caution is the word I would use because 'knowingly do something' is in the bible! Does that helps any?? :confused1:

I failed to mention that I work in a very public area and that I feel I am under scrutiny every time a chainsaw fires up so if I am not thorough the nasty people will 'dob' on me. I am not saying don't carry out a good survey but I do lay it on a little thick for the 'over concerned' members of the public. Still, it is always best to play it safe.

We've pretty much stopped felling stuff now. We've seen active bird nests all over the place. We are now getting on with ivy banding as it will give chance for the chicks to fledge and leave the nest before the ivy leaves fall off. We are only going minor works (crown lifting, deadwood, etc) until next winter.

If you find a nest mid job you can give Natural England a ring and they give you very good advice speicies dependant, the advice weve normally recieved is to move nest no further than 5 metres ,by phonig and getting advice at least you can show your not setting out to deliberatly destroy a nest. Also on there website is a guide to nesting times etc

Protection of birds

* Sections 1 to 8 relate to protection of birds. Section 1 prohibits the intentional killing, injuring or taking of any wild bird and the taking, damaging or destroying of the nest (whilst being built or in use) or eggs. It prohibits possession of wild birds (dead or alive) or their eggs. There are additional penalties for offences relating to birds on Schedule 1Pages marked with this symbol are exclusively written for Naturenet and, in addition, it is an offence to disturb Schedule 1Pages marked with this symbol are exclusively written for Naturenet birds at nest or the dependent young of Schedule 1Pages marked with this symbol are exclusively written for Naturenet birds.

* Section 2 outlines exceptions to Section 1, notably it identifies two lists of birds that may be killed:

o Schedule 2Pages marked with this symbol are exclusively written for Naturenet part I: quarry species which may be killed outside the close season.

o Schedule 2Pages marked with this symbol are exclusively written for Naturenet part II (now deleted) species which may be killed at all times (formerly known as 'pest species').

* Schedule 2Pages marked with this symbol are exclusively written for Naturenet part II was deleted in 1993; there are no longer any 'pest species', but killing of certain species is allowed under certain circumstances - see herePages marked with this symbol are exclusively written for Naturenet for details.

* Section 2 also defines 'close seasons' for the Schedule 2Pages marked with this symbol are exclusively written for Naturenet part I species

* Section 3 allows the Secretary of State to designate areas of special protection (sanctuaries) to provide further protection to birds (except those on Schedule 2Pages marked with this symbol are exclusively written for Naturenet Part II) and even prohibit disturbance or restrict access.

* Section 4 identifies exceptions to Section 3, e.g. provision to allow nursing of or humane destruction of injured birds; provision to cover incidental actions that are an unavoidable result of an otherwise lawful activity.

* Section 5 prohibits the use of certain types of trap, poison, bird-lime, etc, for catching or injuring birds and outlaws the use of certain methods of killing or taking them (e.g. bows, automatic weapons, gas, explosives) or the use of certain types of decoys.

* Section 6 restricts sales or other form of trade of live wild birds on Part I of Schedule 3Pages marked with this symbol are exclusively written for Naturenet, or birds eggs, or the sale of dead wild birds not listed on Parts II or III of Schedule 3Pages marked with this symbol are exclusively written for Naturenet. It also restricts exhibition of birds.

* Section 7 restricts the possession of birds of certain species unless registered and ringed (Schedule 4Pages marked with this symbol are exclusively written for Naturenet).

* Section 8 sets standards for keeping birds in captivity.

hope this makes a little sense for someone...