Smooth climbing

Ross Smith

Err.........sorry for being thick .....but how do you use the wood for a break?

Is it possible to achieve similar results with the Lockjack Sport?

Lockjack sport only has a cam as a break so it can be quite an abrupt stop. The spider jack you can open the cam right up and use the wooden brake as a smoother well a brake:001_tongue:

I'll add a picture up of them both tomorrow

Edited by Ian Flatters
more info

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... haven't read the whole thread so if this has been stated already i apologize, and by saying this I'm not wanting to take anything away from this guys climbing becasue he is obviously very slick, but this video is speeded up. If you look at the leaves, the rate of pendulum and the speed the branches rebound, they aren't. He's obvious quick but just not quite as quick as you think.

... haven't read the whole thread so if this has been stated already i apologize, and by saying this I'm not wanting to take anything away from this guys climbing becasue he is obviously very slick, but this video is speeded up. If you look at the leaves, the rate of pendulum and the speed the branches rebound, they aren't. He's obvious quick but just not quite as quick as you think.

Dunno mate, it looks about right to me, I'm pretty certain it's real time. Like the Wako kid....

Edited by Mark J
Re read what I'd written

i really dont know how you come to that conclusion

I'm impressed with the climbing, gives me something to aim for!

I'm considering trying out either the spiderjack or lockjack, any suggestions for which to start off with? Also, as steve mentions do these sort of devices need any replacement parts or do they place all the wear and tear on the rope, thus reducing its lifespan?

Matt

actually im a little concerned with the spiderjack and the amount of glazing its putting on my rope in such a short space of time

That would have me a bit concerned too. I am saving for one at the moment, but if it means replacing a rope a couple of times a year, plus the pretty hefty price of the SJ, I think they may have just priced themselves out of the market. What rope you using Steve? Could it be a technique issue? Can you post a pic of the glazing?

Also would anyone have an idea of what rope might not be as susceptible to damage by the SJ?