Trust in the gear !?!?

swe#kipp

This is an oldie!

Still, might as well post now I'm here.

I think there are 3 stages to being a climber, 1, you don't trust your gear.

2, you trust your gear and start climbing mainly on your ropes. 3, you climb the tree and your ropes are just a backup.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a good level of confidence in the gear I use. My main concern, as yours should be is what it is attached to namely the tree -that's not lolered and is far more variable and often has a safe working load of a fraction of what your gear has. Just a thought

The gear bother me and your right it's the trees I worry about.

I like the bit about anything the thickness of your wrist is fine to anchor on to.

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk

I learn't to trust my gear the first time a limb snapped out on me. One min giving a thumbs up to groundie next looking at the sky!

Must admit the rush was pretty unbeatable....

Lucky i Redirected, but i learn't my gear will hold..

It's the anchor points your want to worry about in my mind, we all strive for the best anchor point and often push the limits with anchor points.

My biggest fear is my friction hitch. I'm careful with my anchor and have every confidence in the rope and hardware, but it's the bit I tie myself which I'm always terrified is going to let me down. In that respect I often wonder whether I'd be better off on a hitch climber which does at least introduce some hardware into the working end. The thing I dislike about a blakes is how awkward it is to get a back up onto the rope. A long-ish prusik hanging below my hip does the job but it's still a bit hit and miss for my liking, and a pita to advance.

Even though I know my blakes isn't going anywhere because I always put a stopper not in it anyway....

HC or other hardware wouldnt stop the hitch from not biting, any hitch can slip if not configured properly. You might even find you have to check your hitch more often if you use a VT as sometimes it won't bite back on the rope if it's been collapsed fully. But, like it's been said here before, you get used to it, you get your little superstitions, left to right with your strop, tapping the VT before you load your harness etc... And just keeping an eye on your kit as you work.

maybe go and try and break some old and new gear?? obviously that ur not attach to or etc etc etc. that will help for sure mate. its made to be super strong, like most of people have said its the tree and people to worry about, as long as you respect your gear and take good care of it. You will be fine, try doing some big jumps that always fun too :)

cheers MOG

Edited by MOG