Screw Gate Karabiners

Leyburn Lad

i dont see the need for screw gates now days, 3 ways are much easier, safer and quicker...

That is debatable.

Tell it to the hordes of rock climbers. They use them. I know they are not code for an arborist's life support, but, in the hands of a competent person who pays attention to detail, they are safer than autolocks, which can be opened accidentally.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

screw gates imo are a big no no, even on the saw. if your in a tree movin about the gate has a tendency to rub against other objects, yep in the tree you have an obligation to your own safety to keep checking your equipment regular. but sometimes your mind can and will wander thinking about what youve got to do to finish the job. screw gates come undone th

ey do its a fact ive done it myself and ive seen it happen to others. on one occassion a friend fell out of the tree from about 30foot fortunaty landing on his feet but it was still a good spell in hospital, your saw costs a lot of money and so does a hefty compo claim if your saw comes off your strop sam0e again done it myself and seen it done on others. get rid of the screw gates there only good for keeping your keys on, hanging rope up with or stopping your combi can from falling over.....if you take anything from arbtalk bin the screwgates! :thumbdown:

That is debatable.

Tell it to the hordes of rock climbers. They use them. I know they are not code for an arborist's life support, but, in the hands of a competent person who pays attention to detail, they are safer than autolocks, which can be opened accidentally.

I read on here somewhere, that rock climbing is more 2D whereas tree work is 3D, a good point,IMO.

When I used screw gates they would some times tighten up so they were hard to undo or they would come unclipped, I have NEVER had that with a three way.

Got to agree with Bob R on this one. I've spent years teaching / taking rock climbing sessions and it's a matter of time before you find screwgate open that you're sure that you shut. We even went as far as running ropes through Fig 8's on top belays, had too many screwgates vibrate open on top belays. I find it easier to watch krabs when you're rubbing past a branch than all the time.

Had a screw gate vibrate loose ....luckily the prussic end came out and not the eye and evan luckier i managed to grab the tail end as i was heading towards a picket fence in free fall only suffering burnt hands and a heart atttack, for years after that i would do them up under load so tight you would need pliers to undo them!

First time climbing on my nptc training I looked down at my prussic and my 3 way was wide open where it had rubbed against a branch! Hasn't happened since but....

Maybe a spin lock on 3 ways could be developed. Don't think I'd always lock them, but if you know you aint gonna change your anchor for a while it would be a pretty failsafe design.